Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Great Ringstead

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright Paul Beesley]

RINGSTEAD (GREAT) is a pleasant village, in a fertile valley, 2 miles S.E. of Hunstanton, and 8 miles W. by S. of Burnham Market, comprising in its parish 526 inhabitants, and 3,280 acres of land, mostly belonging to Henry L'Estrange Styleman Le Strange, Esq., the lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory; but Wm. Herring, Esq., (180A.) of Norwich, and some others, have estates here.

It had formerly two parish CHURCHES, (St. Peter and St. Andrew,) but they were consolidated in 1771, when the former was pulled down, except its circular tower, which now forms an ivy-mantled dove-cote; and the other materials were used in repairing St. Andrew's, which has a nave, chancel, tower, and south porch.

The discharged and consolidated rectories, valued in the King's Book at 20.6s.8d., and now at 530, are enjoyed by the Rev. Fredk. Fitzroy, M.A., with a good rectory-house, (rebuilt about 5 years ago,) and 140A. of glebe.

Here is a fine Six-sail Mill, erected a few years ago, by Mr. Le Strange, at the cost of about 1,500.

The Fuel Allotment, 53A. 1R. 18P., was awarded at the enclosure, in 1782. The poor cut turf upon it, and let the shooting for 3 a year. They have the following yearly doles, viz:- 10s. left by the Rev. Timothy Swift, in 1719; 28s. 6d., from 28 10s. left by L. Hocknell, and other donors; and 20s. left by a Mr. Reed.

	Bunn       Mr. Anthony
	Cadaman    Thomas            vict., Compasses
	Campbell   Captain William
	Crown      John              shoemaker
	Fitzroy    Rev. Fredk., M.A. Rectory
	Goodman    Robert            miller & brewer
	Groom      William           relieving officer
	Habberton  John              saddler
	Holmes     William           schoolmaster
	Holmes     Thomas            carpenter
	Powell     Robert            mill manager
	Rumbold    Claxton           joiner
	Rutland    William           farm bailiff
	Southgate  Wm., sen.         parish clerk

	   Blacksmiths.

	Gathercole James
	Hall       Elijah

	   Butchers.

	Whiting    Robert
	Willoughby Jas.

	   FARMERS.

	Beck       Thomas
	Kitton     Elizabeth
	Matsell    John
	Norton     James
	Rix        Robert
	Sudbury    William           (chief constbl.)
	Wells      Matthew
	Wharton    Thomas
	Wright     William

	   Shopkeepers.

	Callaby    William
	Phillipo   James             (& watch maker)
	Smith      Henry

	   Tailors.

	Daw        William
	Thompson   J.

	   Wheelwrights.

	Chapman    Wm.               (& beer seller)
	Semmence   James

See also the Great Ringstead parish page.

Copyright Pat Newby.
November 1999