Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Riddlesworth

White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]

RIDDLESWORTH parish, 4 miles S.W. of East Harling, and 6 miles E. by S. of Thetford, has a few scattered houses, 70 inhabitants, and 1137 acres of land, in the vale of the Little Ouse. Except 14 acres of glebe, all the land is the property of and occupied by Thomas Thornhill, Esq., of Riddlesworth Hall, a neat white mansion, in a pleasant park, erected on the site of the old manor house, by Sylvanus Bevan, Esq., who purchased the estate in 1712, previous to which it had long been the seat of the knightly family of Drury, which ended in female issue.

The CHURCH (St. Peter,) has a square tower and one bell. In the chancel is a fine monument of Sir Drue Drury, with his effigy in armour, and two angels kneeling under a canopy.

The rectory, valued in K.B. at £11. 2s. 8d. is consolidated with Gasthorpe, in the gift of T. Thornhill, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Darby, M.A. The joint rectories were valued in 1831, at £212 per annum.

Mr. Thomas Sare is the farm bailiff.


See also the Riddlesworth parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Mike Bristow.
July 1999