Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Repps with Bastwick

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

REPPS-CUM-BASTWICK are two hamlets, half a mile from each other, and 10 miles N.W. by N. of Yarmouth. They form a parish in Flegg union, West Flegg hundred, East and West Flegg petty sessional division, Yarmouth county court district, Yarmouth bankruptcy district, Ormesby polling district of North Norfolk, Flegg rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. The parish had 261 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises about 1200A. of land, of which nearly 300 acres are marshes on the south side of the river Thurne. The rateable value is £2342. The Rev. H.E. Lombe owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor.

Of the church at Bastwick nothing now remains except the tower; but Repps CHURCH (St. Peter) is a small fabric, consisting of nave, chancel, north porch, and tower; and its restoration has commenced, a sum of £500 having already been spent on the works. The nave is of 15th century architecture, and contains an ancient font and screen in a good state of preservation. The tower, of exquisite design, is round at the base and octagonal above, and contains three bells. The Church chest contains an old black-letter Bible, dated 1617. The ancient font and part of the old screen still remain, and in the nave are several tombs with brasses.

The vicarage is valued at £156, having been augmented in 1802 with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and in 1840 with an addition of £50 per annum out of the tithes, which are appropriated to Norwich Grammar School; and were commuted in that year for an annual rent of £400, exclusive of 4s. 6d. to the vicar of Martham; the 18s., which were formerly payable to the Dean and Chapter out of the tithes, have been made over to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to augment the benefice. The Governors of Norwich Grammar School are patrons; and the Rev. Henry Charles Ash, M.A., of Rollesby, is incumbent.

The Poor's Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1808, consists of 19 acres of marsh land, which is all let. Here are 33 acres of glebe belonging to the appropriators.

Here is a Board School.

POST from Great Yarmouth.

	Addy      John           corn miller
	Balls     James, jun.    gardener
	Barber    James          shoemaker
	Belson    Richard Bell   farmer and owner
	Cator     Benjamin       shoemaker
	Cossey    George         victualler, White Hart
	Dean      Robert         farmer
	Flowerden Geo.           shopkpr. & whlwright
	Haddon    George         joiner
	Haddon    John           farmer
	Haddon    Mrs Mary Ann   farmer
	Kidman    Harry          farmer, clerk to School Board
	                           & road surveyor, Grove cot.
	Kidman    Robert         farmer
	Laws      Edward         beerhouse and boatman
	Mitchell  John           farm bailiff
	Monsey    William        fish curer
	Thaine    Noah           blacksmith
	Warnes    Edward         farmer

See also the Repps with Bastwick parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
October 2006