REPPS-CUM-BASTWICK are two hamlets, half a mile from each other, and 10 miles N.W. by N. of Yarmouth. They form one parish, containing 314 souls, and about 1200A. of land, of which about 300 acres are marshes on the south side of the Thurne rivulet. Edward Lombe, Esq., owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor.
The Church at Repps is a small fabric, dedicated to St. Peter; but of that at Bastwick, nothing remains but the tower. The perpetual curacy was augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty in 1802, and valued at £106 in 1831, but in 1840, it was augmented with an additional £50 per annum out of the tithes, which are appropriated to the Great Hospital at Norwich, and were commuted in that year for the annual rent of £400, exclusive of 18s. to the Dean and Chapter, and 4s. 6d. to the vicar of Martham. The Norwich Charity Trustees are patrons, and the Rev. Charles Boutell, of Martham, is the incumbent.
The Poor's Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1808, consists of 19A. of marsh land, on which the poor depasture their cows. Rushes are also cut and sold, the proceeds thereof, with the payment of 30s. for each cow turned upon it by a non-parishioner, amounting altogether to about £8 a year, are distributed among the poor who do not keep a cow.
In the following Directory, those marked * are at BASTWICK, and the others in REPPS.
Boyce Thos. painter, glazier, &c Flowerdew Chas. wheelwright and vict. White Hart Manship Thomas corn miller Thain Noah blacksmith FARMERS. * Belson Richd. and * Kidman Rt. sen Robt. (owners) * Kidman Rt. jun * Hadden Wm. sen Manship Wm. * Hadden Wm. jun Moore Jno. Cubit Shoemakers. Wherry Owners. Barber James Bessey Wm. Powley Benj. Nicholas John
Copyright © Pat Newby.