QUARLES, an extra-parochial liberty, 3 miles S.S.W. of Wells, has only 22 inhabitants, and 600 acres of land, held by the Earl of Leicester, on a 21 years' lease, renewable every seven, of Christ's College, Cambridge. Part of his plantations, and the triumphal arch at the entrance to Holkham Park, are in this manor, which had anciently a church, which was in ruins in 1571, and no traces of it now remain. It was subject to Creake Abbey, and was given by the Countess of Richmond, mother of Henry VII., to the above-named college.
The farm is occupied by Thomas and William Hudson.
Copyright © Pat Newby.