[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
PULHAM ST. MARY THE VIRGIN is a large village on an acclivity, 8 miles N.W. of Harleston, on the Waveney Valley (G.E.R.) Railway, and its parish is in Depwade union, Earsham hundred and petty sessional division, Harleston county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Harleston polling district of South Norfolk, Redenhall rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 822 inhabitants in the year 1881, and has a rateable value of £4278.
George Copeman Esq.,is lord of the manor, in which are many copyholds subject to arbitrary fines. Schofield Patten, Esq., G.F. Bevan, Esq., Lord Waveney, and others have estates here. The extensive commons here and in Pulham St. Mary Magdalen have been enclosed under an Act of Parliament, passed in 1838.
The CHURCH is an antique fabric, chiefly of Perpendicular architecture, comprising nave with clerestory, chancel, south aisle, a lofty square tower with six bells, and a handsome porch ornamented with large figures of angels, &c. The windows were enlarged in 1478; and there was formerly a spire. The stained glass in the east window was destroyed in 1818, when the south chancel window was also blown out. The nave is very wide, and contains the ancient open benches. The chancel contains a fine double piscina, supposed to be of Saxon workmanship; a credence table; sedilia for three priests; and a fine mural monument to Mary, wife of the Rev. W. Leigh, the late rector. Part of a fine rood-screen still remains, The head of a window on the north side is filled with stained glass, representing the twelve apostles.
In the nave are monuments of the Swann and Inyon families. Here is also a tombstone with a fine indent of a brass cross to Simon de Walpole, rector, brother of Ralph de Walpole, Bishop of Norwich and Ely. The shaft of the cross appears to have rested on an Agnus Dei. The church was restored in 1864, at a cost of £350.
The rectory was valued in the King's Book at £33 6s. 8d., with the perpetual curacy of Pulham St. Mary Magdalen annexed to it; but the two benefices were separated on the death of the late rector in 1858. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. Richard Bond, M.A., is the present rector, and has a good residence, 34A. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £662 awarded in 1837 in lieu of tithes. The Rev. A. Woodd, M.A., is the curate.
Henry de Wengham, Dean of St. Martin's-le-Grand, was presented to the rectory in 1252 by Henry III., but in 1259 he became Bishop of London, being then Chancellor of England, and he was twice ambassador to France. The celebrated William de Wykeham, Chancellor of England, and founder of New College, Oxford, and of the College at Winchester, was also presented to this rectory by Edward III. in 1357, and is said to have built the church porch. Sir Thomas Howes, chaplain to Sir John Fastolff (who left much money to repair and ornament the church), was presented by William Grey, Bishop of Ely, in 1645. Nicholas Cloggett, who died Bishop of Exeter, was made rector here in 1717; and William Browne, a learned man, and translator of notes for Pope's 'Homer,' obtained this living in 1728.
The Baptists have a small chapel here.
In 1670, William Pennoyer charged certain property, which he left to Christ's College in London, with the yearly payment of £4 for the poorest parishioners, and £5 for schooling poor children. He also directed that the future lords of the manor should pay one-fifteenth part of the rents and profits of the manors, so as to make up £20 a year for a schoolmaster, to teach 30 or 40 boys of the two parishes of Pulham and the adjacent places. The school is kept in St. James's Chapel, which was built in 1401 by the brethren and sisters of St. James' Guild. It is attended by about 120 children, and the master has, in lieu of his portion of the profits of the manor, the rent of 8¼ acres of land, which were allotted at the enclosure to the lord of the manor, and by him transferred to the school. This land is let for £24 a year, of which £4 go in expenses. The Town Farm, 16 acres, is let for about £30 a year, of which £10 is paid to the master of the Sunday school, and the remainder is applied with the church rates.
A meadow, which had been long held by the overseers, was sold about sixty years ago, for the purpose of paying off a debt that had been incurred in erecting a parish workhouse, and enclosing 9 acres of land from the South Common. The workhouse is now converted into five cottages. These and a number of allotments are let to the poor at low rents.
POST OFFICE at Alfred Palmer's. Letters, viâ Harleston, arrive at 8 a.m., and despatched at 5.30 p.m. This is also a MONEY ORDER OFFICE and SAVINGS BANK.
Adcock Robt. farmer, miller, & owner Adcock Wm. farmer, Bridge farm Alexander Samuel miller Baldry Robert farmer Bennett Colonel Adrian The Grange Bilby Walter fmr. & owner, Church frm Bishop Bertram & Co. stocking mfrs Bond Mrs Ellen The Hall Bond Rev. Richard, M.A. rector, The Rectory Bond Robert farmer, The Hall Bond Thos. Edward farmer, The Hall Boyce William bricklayer Brown Chas. Hy. saddler & carriage brkr Brown Daniel farmer Chaney Robert farmer Chapman Charles farmer Chapman William farmer Chase Chas. brickmkr, &c.; h Weybread Calby Mrs Hannah farmer Crisp William shoemaker Ebbage Mrs Sarah farmer Edwards George farmer Fish Osborn btchr. & vict. King's Head Fisk Frederick stationmaster Futter Edward John farmer Garrod Robert foreman Goodram - farmer Harris James pigdealer Hood George miller and merchant Howell Miss Susan Amelia shopkpr Johnson James market gardener Lefley William farmer Liest Miss Fanny dressmaker Lincoln Wm. farmer & coal merchant Long Albert Thomas baker Long Miss Laura shopkeeper Mayes Edward farmer Mills Mr Charles Andrew Mullinger James parish clerk Mullinger Mrs Sophia tailoress Mullinger Wm. whlwright. & blksmth Page George farmer Palmer Alfred joiner, builder, shopkeeper, general dlr. & postmaster Parke William farmer Reeve James farmer Riches Samuel carrier and beerhouse Roberts Robert farmer Robinson Hy. (W. & Sons), Hill House Robinson James B. (W. & Sons); h Botesdale Robinson W. & Sons maltsters, corn & coal merts. & fmrs; & at Botesdale Saunders Robt. David grocer & drapr Seaman William farmer Stanton Miss Leonora dressmaker Steward John farmer Taylor Rev. Benjamin (Baptist) Tink Nehemiah & Emily Pennoyers' Free School Townsend Richard vict. Maid's Head Tubbey James farmer Tubby Charles farmer Tubby Mrs Charlotte farmer Tye Henry coal merchant Vipond Jeremiah shoemaker Woodd Rev. Alex. M.A. curate Yeuell Henry bricklayer
CARRIER - Samuel Riches to Norwich, Wednesday and Saturday
See also the Pulham St Mary the Virgin parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.