POTTER-HEIGHAM, 15 miles N.E. by E. of Norwich, and 10½ miles N.N.W. of Yarmouth, has in its parish 420 souls, and 2347A. of land, exclusive of about 200A. in the large broads or ponds, on the north side of the vale of the Bure.
A large portion of the soil is held by leaseholders under the Bishop of Norwich, the lord of the manor, appropriator, and patron of the Church, (St. Nicholas,) which is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., and now enjoyed by the Rev. Richard B.P. Kidd, M.A., who has 10A. of glebe. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £223. 15s. and the rectorial for £366. 5s. per annum. The latter are leased to S. Thaxter, Esq. A new Vicarage House and a National School were built in 1844.
The Poor's Allotments, comprising 98A. 3R. 8P., were awarded at the enclosure in 1803. About 42 acres are depastured by the poor, and the remainder is let for about £50 a year, which is distributed among the poor who have no cows. They have also the interest of £9; and here is an old building, called the Town House, occupied by paupers.
Blackburn Wm. shoemaker Boyce Simon miller Colls Robert joiner Daniels Geo. cattle dlr. and shopr. Ewles Fras. blacksmith [see note below] Ewles John parish clerk Kidd Rev Richd. B.P., M.A. vicar Pike P. blacksmith [see note below] Rust Edward vict. Falgate Thaxter Samuel gent. Hall Thompson John shopkeeper FARMERS. (* are Owners.) Addey Joseph Grapes Simon *Addey Wm. *Green William *Applegate Wm. *Greenacre Wm. *Blaxell John Murrell Gibbs Howe Bower Robert Neve James *Ewles William Pye Elizabeth George Henry Rudd George Gibbs Edmund *Ward Robert *Grapes John
Note. In the original this is:
Ewles Fras. & Pike P. blacksmiths
Copyright © Pat Newby.