[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
PORINGLAND, (GREAT) or East Poringland, commonly called Pauling, is a pleasant village, 4½ miles S.S.E. of Norwich. It is united with Little Poringland for the support of the poor, and the two parishes contain together 577 souls, and 1521 acres, of which 57 souls and 623 acres are in Little, and the rest in Great Poringland. The Earl of Rosebery is lord of the manor, and the soil is held by many copyholders, subject to arbitrary fines.
The Church (All Saints,) has a tower round at the base and sexangular above. It was repaired about twelve years ago, and contains a small kneeling effigy of Robt. Draper. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 2d., and in 1831 at £274. J. Brereton, Esq., is patron, the Rev. S. Brereton incumbent, and the Rev. F.G. Goodwin curate.
The tithes were commuted at the enclosure in 1800, when 17A. 11P. was allotted to the poor of Great, and 12A. 2R. 1P. to the poor of Little Poringland. These allotments let for about £35 a year, which is distributed in coals. The poor have also 20s. a year, left by E. and J. Skoyles.
Here is a National School, established in 1841.
Cattermole David vict., Dove Chaplin Josiah schoolmaster Hutchin John shopkeeper Kemp James miller Lake Jas. cattle dealer Laws John beer seller [see note below] Parker John miller Sewell Mrs. Taylor Jph. shoemaker Thetford Robt. vict. White Hart Worman Geo. beer seller [see note below] Wright Jonathan baker and shopkpr. Wright Wm. carpenter farmers. Beverley Thos. (owner) Beverley Tobias Nuthall Nevill Thetford Robt. Johnson Todd John
Note: in the original this is
John Laws and Geo. Worman, beer sellers
See also the East Poringland parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.