PLUMSTEAD (LITTLE), 6 miles E. by N. of Norwich, is a village and parish, in Blofield union and hundred, Blofield and Walsham petty sessional division, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy court district, Blofield polling district of South Norfolk, Blofield rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It has a rateable value of about £2500, and contained 329 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1395 acres of good loamy land.
The Exors. of the late Edward Steward, Esq., are lords of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, Major Penrice, and Sir Henry Stracey, Bart. The Hall, a large brick building with embattled roof and turrets, is the property of Sir Henry Stracey, but is now unoccupied.
The CHURCH is dedicated to St. Gervase and St. Protase, who were Roman martyrs of the second century. It is a small structure, with nave, chancel, and round ivy-covered tower containing one bell. The chancel contains a handsome brass, representing a knight in armour, to the memory of Sir Edward Warner, who died in 1565; and a fine marble monument in remembrance of Thomas Penrice, Esq., who died in 1816.
In 1834, a late rector filled the east window with stained glass representing the Fall, the Redeemer, the Crucifixion, and the four evangelists; but in 1851, this window was removed to the south wall, and a new and handsome Perpendicular window of stained glass, containing figures of Faith, Hope, and Charity, was inserted in its stead, in memory of the late Admiral Stephens.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7 12s. 6d., is in the patronage of Major Penrice, and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Berners Penrice, M.A. There are 12 acres of glebe in this parish; and the rectory house is a handsome embattled brick residence with extensive and picturesque grounds. On the death of the late Rev. Charles Penrice, B.A., in 1853, the livings of Witton and Brundall were separated from that of Little Plumstead, which is of the value of £468 tithes commutation. There are 53 acres of glebe in the parish, 15 of which are contiguous to the rectory, and form the rectory ground.
There is a National School for the parishes of Little Plumstead and Witton, supported by subscription and a voluntary rate, and attended by about 100 children.
The poor's allotment, 31A. 1R. 22P., was awarded at the enclosure in 1801, and is let for £50 a year, which is distributed in clothing and money. A double cottage and 3 acres of land were given by the Hobart family.
POST OFFICE. Wall letter-box cleared at 4 p.m. week days, and 9.30 a.m. on Sundays. Letters arrive viâ Norwich at 9.30 a.m. Blofield is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Boughton Charles farmer Chapman John Henry farmer & victualler, Brick Kilns Crowe Walter farmer Easter George blacksmith, and (h) Blofield Gosling James pork butcher Green W.F. brickmaker and farmer; h Wroxham Holden Henry brickyard foreman Lacey James parish clerk Langdon John schoolmaster Nicholls George & John farmers and shopkeepers Penrice Rev. Charles Berners, M.A. rector Sewell Smith tailor Thrower George blacksmith Wiley Jeremiah Cousens farmerCARRIERS - Chapman, from Ranworth to Norwich, passes through on Wed.
line 7 [which is the end of paragraph 2], take out 'but is now
for 'Nicholls George & John,' read 'John & George;'
for Wiley Jeremiah 'Cousens,' read 'Cozens;'
and in Carrier, for 'Wednesday,' read 'Saturday.'
Copyright © Pat Newby.