The CHURCH (St. Michael) has a square tower and one bell, and was thoroughly restored in 1873. A new roof was thrown over the church, a north porch built (now used as vestry), open benches substituted for the old pews, and a new organ was built, at a cost of £120, defrayed by the friends of the former rector. The Registers date from 1551.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5 3s. 4d., and now having 12 acres of glebe and a yearly rent-charge of £187 12s., awarded in 1839 in lieu of tithes. The Queen, as Duchess of Lancaster, is patroness, and the Rev. Herbert Wynell Mayow, is the incumbent.
POST OFFICE at Miss Charlotte Goodwin's. Post via Hanworth. Letters arrive at 9.30 a.m. and depart at 2 p.m. Hold [sic, ie Holt] is the nearest Money Order Office.
Elsden Miss Mary shopkeeper Everett Stephen farmer & victualler, Cherry Tree Inn Goodwin Miss Charlotte postmistress Hardy William farmer and owner Mayow Rev. Herbert Wynell rector Neal Valentine farmer Newstead James Benjamin clerk to School Board Newstead John Elden farmer Newstead Richard farmer and carter Overton John Josiah miller & farmer Pull William shoemaker Scarf Robert well sinker and farmer Taylor Edward farmer; h Cley-next-the-Sea Tyrrell Springall tobacconist
See also the Plumstead parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.