Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: North Pickenham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

PICKENHAM (NORTH), a parish and village, in the vale of a rivulet, 3 miles S.E. of Swaffham, in Swaffham union and county court district, South Greenhoe hundred and petty sessional division, King's Lynn bankruptcy district, Swaffham polling district of West Norfolk, North Cranwich rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 246 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1576 acres, and had a rateable value of £1950. The soil is mostly the property of E.A. Applewhaite, Esq., lord of the manor; Edmund Farrer, Esq., patron of the living; and the Rev. William Ewing, M.A., rector.

The CHURCH (St. Andrew), which formerly had a chapel and hermitage dedicated to St. Paul, was, with the exception of the north chapel, porch, and tower, rebuilt in 1864, at an outlay of £2400. The new part is in the Decorated style, and comprises chancel, nave, and south aisle. The chancel is paved with encaustic tiles, those within the rails being glazed. The communion table, the chancel stalls, and the pulpit are all of oak, and the east window is filled with stained glass.

The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5 4s. 2d., is consolidated with that of Houghton-on-the-Hill. The glebe is about 110 acres, and the tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1839 for £499 a year.

The Rectory House was enlarged in 1876 by the rector, who also built a neat brick school, with residence attached, in 1855. The Fuel Allotment, 10A. 1R. 3P., was awarded in 1807, and is let for £25.

POST LETTERS from Swaffham, which is the nearest Money Order Office, arrive at 7 a.m. Pillar Box cleared at 5.55 p.m. No Sunday post.

	Bell     Robt.               farm steward to E. Farrer
	Bower    Rev. Matthew, M.A.  curate
	Bowers   George              shopkeeper
	Coker    James               farmer & cattle dealer, Meadow farm;
	                               h Necton
	Cooke    Miss Emma           schoolmistress
	Ewing    Rev. Wm. M.A.       rector, Rectory
	Johnson  Thomas              shoemaker
	Neave    John                carpenter
	Neave    Thomas              beerhouse
	Neave    Thomas, jun.        parish clerk
	Payne    Wm.                 blksmith.; h Holme Hale
	Porter   William             shopkeeper
	Sewell   John                farmer, The Manor farm
	Woods    William             vict. Blue Lion


In Directory, insert
         'Simcox -, farm steward,'
and    'Stratton F. Glebe farm; h Swaffham.'

See also the North Pickenham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
May 2007