PICKENHAM, (NORTH) a parish and village, in the vale of a rivulet, 3 miles S.E. of Swaffham, has 269 souls, and 1516 acres of land, mostly the property of E.T. Applewhaite, Esq., lord of the manor and patron of the CHURCH (St. Andrew,) which had formerly a chapel and hermitage dedicated to St. Paul.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5. 4s. 2d., and in 1831, at £430, with that of Houghton-on-the-Hill annexed to it. The Rev. Henry Say, of Swaffham, is the incumbent. The glebe is about 110A. and the tithes of the two parishes were commuted, in 1839, for £482 per ann.
The Fuel Allotment, 10A. 1R. 3P., was awarded in 1807, and is let for £10. The Parish House is occupied by three poor widows.
Postle Rev. John curate Boughen Robert farmer Hasell Robt. farmer Musgrave Chas. farmer Rix Jane farmer Couzens Hunting wheelwright and blacksmith [see note below] Gill Thos. shopkeeper and vict., Blue Lion Leech Croft carpenter Neave Thomas beerseller Rix Robert wheelwright and blacksmith [see note below]
Note: In the original, this is:
Hunting Couzens and Robert Rix, wheelwrights and blacksmiths
Copyright © Pat Newby.