OVERSTRAND, on the coast, from 1 to 2 miles E.S.E. of Cromer, has its parish in Erpingham union, North Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Holt county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Cromer polling district of North Norfolk, Repps rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 227 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 439 acres of land, bounded on the south by a range of hills, and on the north by the lofty sea cliffs, but having on the beach a fishing station, called BECK HYTH, where there are several fishing boats. It has a rateable value of £1221. It is in the manor of Gimingham-Lancaster, held by Lord Suffield, J.P., who is the principal landowner. Several new villas have recently been erected in this parish, near the Cromer Railway Station.
The old CHURCH (St. Martin) was washed down in the reign of Richard II., when another was erected, which is now in ruins; Sir T.F. Buxton and Lady Buxton lie buried in them. In 1867, a new church (CHRIST CHURCH), in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, and side aisle, was built near to it, in the same [burial-ground].
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £2 1s. 5d., was augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty in 1800, and has £80 a year, awarded in 1840, in lieu of tithes. J.H. Gurney, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Forster G. Simpson, B.A., is the incumbent, and has a good residence, built in 1861.
The School was erected in 1830, and endowed by Miss Anna Gurney and her brother, Hudson Gurney, Esq. The poor have the rent of 3 acres of land in Cromer parish, distributed in coal. A Reading Room has been opened at the expense of J. Gurney, jun. Esq., of North Repps. Foulness, or Cromer Lighthouse, stands in this parish.
POST from Norwich, viâ North Repps; telegrams and parcels by Great Eastern Railway viâ Cromer.
Beverley Michael, M.D. Overstrand cottage; and Norwich Bowden Edward foreman brickyard Braim Jph. gentlemen's boarding, day, and preparatory school, 6 Suffield pk Brigham Robert shoemaker Comben Richard & William Richard lighthouse keepers Comer Robt. brickmkr.; and at Suffield Cross Jeremiah farmer Dobbin Charles architect and surveyor, 1 Suffield park; and London Farrow Mrs Rose shopkeeper Green John carpenter & parish clerk and pony carriage letter Matthews Mr. 3 Suffield park Matthews John bricklayer Middleton Richard shopkeeper and twine spinner Payne Henry carpenter and farmer Rogers Mr Stephen Savory John Howes lodgings & shoemaker Seago Edward painter and plumber Simpson Rev. Forster George, B.A. rector, Rectory; and of Sidestrand Spencer Jonathan Betts schoolmaster Summers Stephen vict. White Horse Inn, and pony carriage letter
Copyright © Pat Newby.