OVERSTRAND, on the coast, from 1 to 2 miles E.S.E. of Cromer, has in its parish 240 souls, and 439 acres of land, bounded on the south by a range of hills, and on the north by the lofty sea cliffs, but having on the beach a fishing station, called BECK HYTH, where there are curing houses, and 4 large and 14 small fishing boats. It is in the manor of Gimingham-Lancaster, held by Lord Suffield, but the soil belongs to copyholders, subject to arbitrary fines.
The old Church (St. Martin,) was washed down in the reign of Richard II., when the present one was erected. Only part of the nave is fitted up for divine service, and the rest is in ruins.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £2. 1s. 5d., was augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty in 1800, and has £80. 7s. a year, awarded in 1840, in lieu of tithes. Lord Suffield is patron, and the Rev. Paul Johnson incumbent.
Miss Gurney supports a school here.
Foulness, or Cromer Light House, stands in this parish. (See page 753 [which is the entry for Cromer].)
Craske Jas. bricklayer Cross Jeremiah farmer Neave Fras. farmer Pilgrim Thos. farmer Curtis John boat owner Brown John baker Ellis N. light-keeper Field Sar. Ann light-keeper Rogers John shoemaker Savory John shoemaker Summers Robt. carrier to Norwich, and vict., White Horse Summers Edw. fish curer
Copyright © Pat Newby.