[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
OUTWELL is a long village, adjoining Upwell, 5 miles S.E. of Wisbech, and 7½ miles W. by N. of Downham, lying on both sides of the river Nene, near its junction with the Well Creek and Welney, being partly in the Isle of Ely, Cambridgeshire. The parish contains 3,180 acres of land, and 1,250 inhabitants, of which, 432 souls, and 430 acres are in Wisbech Hundred, Cambridgeshire, and form a separate township. (See page 609 [Note 1, below].)
The soil belongs to a number of proprietors, the largest of whom is R.G. Townley, Esq.; and the whole lies in his manor of Beaupre Hall, an ancient mansion, occupied by the Rev. W.G. Townley, and having its name from the Beaupre family, (see page 608 [Note 2, below],) of whom there are some handsome monuments in the CHURCH, (St. Clement,) which stands in Norfolk, on a tongue of land between the river and the Well Creek, and is a large ancient edifice, with a square tower and six bells. It has several figures of saints, &c., painted in its windows, and formerly had five chapels, of which three are thrown open into the church. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £16, and in 1831 at £420, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely, and incumbency of the Rev. John Johnson, M.A.
The Churchwardens hold a house and 10A. of land, let for £19 10s. a year, which is applied in the service of the church. The TOWN LANDS, &c., consisting of a house and 33A., is let for £116 a year, have been vested in trust, since 1628, for the benefit of the parish. The rents are applied in about the following proportions:- £40 in doles of money and bread to the poor; £18 for schooling poor children; £20 added to the poor rates; £10 to the church rates; and £28 expended in the repairs of bridges; the salaries of the clerk and sexton; the payment of drainage rates, &c.
The Town Fen Lands, held by the same trustees, comprise 10A., let for £24 a year, which is applied in aid of the poor rates, out of which are paid the expences of repairing the Norfolk Bridge. The poor parishioners have a yearly rent charge of 20s., left by a Mr. Lambert, out of land, in Elm Old Field. Those of the Norfolk side of the parish, have 9A. of land in Elm, left by Wm. Lynne, in 1616, and now let for £20, which is distributed on Christmas Eve.
Marked 1 are in Cambridgeshire.
Brown John schoolmaster Goddard John wheelwright Gouldin Mrs. Susan 1 Juler James bricklayer 1 Johnson Rev. John, M.A. Rectory 1 Mole Joseph bricklayer Neale William corn miller Sharp Charles farrier Shepherd Robert butcher Townley Rev. Wm. Gale Beaupre Hall Trower Mr. William PUBLIC HOUSES. Gill James Bridge Inn 1 Oakes Edward Crown Hill John Norfolk Hero Taylor George Red Lion Booth Joseph White Swan Beer Houses. Blacksmiths. Atkins Robert 1 Hall William Frusher Michael Taylor George 1 Howell William Sharp William 1 Terrington Hy. Yering William FARMERS. * are Owners. 1 Atkins Leeds *Murfet William Booth Nathan *Reeve William Cousins J. & J. 1 Robb John Gouldin John Tomlinson Bird *Horn Anthony Whitaker Henry 1*Kisby William 1*Wrate Francis May John & Wm. Grocers & Drapers. Shoemakers. Copeman Matw. B Pearson James Shearman Wm. Stephenson J. Whitaker Henry Yallup Thomas
Post & Sociable, to Wisbech and Downham, daily
See also the Outwell parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.