[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
REDMERE, formerly extra-parochial, is now a parish in Ely union, Clackclose hundred and petty sessional division, Ely county court district, Cambridge bankruptcy court district, Southey [Southery] polling district of West Norfolk. It had 39 inhabitants in 1881, living on 625 acres, and has a rateable value of about £500.
Together with parts of the parishes of Fetwell [Feltwell], St. Mary, and St. Nicholas, a part of Littleport in the county of Cambridge, and the formerly extra-parochial place called Feltwell Anchor, form the ecclesiastical parish of St. John, Little Ouse, which is in the diocese of Ely, and was formed in 1866. It extends over 12,042 acres, and had 921 inhabitants in 1881.
The CHURCH (St. John, Little Ouse) is a handsome stone building, at South Hilgay, erected in 1869 at a cost of about £3000, in lieu of an iron structure. The benefice is in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely (in whose diocese it is), and incumbency of the Rev. John Frederick Taylor Morse, B.A.
See also the Little Ouse parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.