[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
LITTLE OUSE is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1866 by Order in Council from detached and outlying portions of the parishes of Hilgay, Feltwell St. Mary and St. Nicholas, St. George's, Littleport (Cambridge) and the entire parishes of Feltwell Anchor and Redmere, both formerly extra-parochial; it is 4½ miles north-north-east from Littleport station on the Ely and Lynn section of the London and North Eastern railway, and 10½ south-east from Downham, in the South Western division of the county, petty sessional division of Ely, rural deanery of Ely, archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese of Ely.
The Little Ouse is crossed by a bridge at Bandon [sic, ie Brandon] Creek, at its confluence with the Ouse, and an iron foot-bridge crosses the same river near the church and 2 miles higher up. By Order of the Local Government Board, Redmere parish has been transferred to the Isle of Ely.
The church of St. John, standing near the south bank of the Little Ouse river, about 2 miles above its confluence with the Great Ouse, was built in 1869, at the sole cost of the Rev. Canon E.B. Sparke, and is a building of flint with stone dressings, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry, organ chamber and a north-west tower containing a clock and 3 bells: a brass tablet was erected in 1920 under the chancel arch to the memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are 350 sittings. The register dates from the year 1867.
The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £250, including 43 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely, and held since 1924 by the Rev. Fred Halliwell, of St. John's College, Manitoba.
There is a Methodist chapel.
The principal landowners are James Little Luddington esq. J.P. Henry Thompson esq. F. Clarke esq. and the Yorkshire Insurance Co. Ltd. The soil is peat and sand; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, beans, oats and roots. The area is 12,042 acres; the population in 1921 was 861, which extends into the Isle of Ely.
Post Office, Brandon Bank. Letters through Downham Market. Southery nearest Money Order & Telegraph office.
FELTWELL ANCHOR, formerly extra-parochial, is now a parish; ecclesiastically it belongs to the parish of St. John, Little Ouse, and is situated in the Fens, on the north bank of the Little Ouse, 7 miles west from Lakenheath station on the Ely and Thetford section of the London and North Eastern railway, in the South Western division of the county, Grimshoe hundred, Thetford rural district and county court district. The soil is peat; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans and oats. The area is 103 acres; the population in 1921 was 67.
Letters through Downham Market. Southery nearest Money Order & Telegraph office.
Halliwell Rev. Fred (vicar), Vicarage
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Barratt Jack shopkpr. Post office, Brandon creek Barrett Abel wheelwright, Brandon crk * Clarke Fredk. farmer Hazel Geo. Wm. Ship inn, Brandon creek Theobald Morley farmer Turner George blacksmith, Brandon creek Whitome S.E. farm mngr. to Yorkshire Insurance Co. Ltd. Church farm
Pendle Percy Anchor P.H.
See also the Little Ouse parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.