[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
LITTLE OUSE is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1866 by Order in Council from detached and outlying portions of the parishes of Hilgay, Feltwell St. Mary and St. Nicholas, Littleport (Cambridge) and the entire parishes of Feltwell Anchor and Redmore, both formerly extra-parochial, and is 4½ miles north north east from Littleport station on the Ely and Lynn section of the Great Eastern railway and locally in Cambridgeshire, and 10½ south east from Downham, in the South Western division of the county, rural deanery and diocese of Ely and the peculiar archidiaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely. The Norfolk portion of this parish is in the Downham, and the Cambridge portion in the Ely petty sessional division and county court district. An iron foot-bridge here crosses the river.
The church of St. John, standing near the south bank of the Little Ouse river, about 2 miles above its confluence with the Great Ouse, was built in 1869, at the sole cost of the late Rev. Canon E B Sparke, and is a building of flint with stone dressings, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry, organ chamber and a north-west tower containing a clock and 3 bells; there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1868.
The living is a vicarage, tithe rent charge £160, net yearly value £229, including 83 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely, and held since 1882 by the Rev John Frederick Taylor Morse B A of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge.
Here are two Primitive Methodist chapels. On the Cold Harbour Drove there is a mission room, in which services are held by the vicar on Sunday evenings.
The principal landowners are Captain Francis d'Arcy Wm. Clough Newcome of Feltwell Hall, William Luddington esq of Littleport, Cambridge, James Little Luddington esq and Henry Tansley Luddington esq. The soil is peat and sand, subsoil, clay and gravel. Chief crops, wheat, beans, oats and roots. The area is 12,042 acres; and the population in 1881 was 921.
Parish Clerk, John Rivett.
WALL LETTER BOX. - Letters through Downham cleared at 4 p.m. Southery &
Littleport are the nearest money order offices, no collection on sundays
WALL LETTER BOX, Brand Creek, cleared at 4.45 p.m. & on sundays at 10 a.m
Board (mixed), under the Littleport School Board, average attendance about 50, John Samuel Fendick, master
Board, Black Horse Drove (mixed), under the same board, average attendance about 45, John Sneath, master
Feltwell Anchor, formerly extra-parochial, is now a parish, ecclesiastically it belongs to the district of St John, Little Ouse, and is situated in the Fens, on the north bank of the Little Ouse, 7 miles west from Lakenheath railway station on the Ely and Thetford section of the Great Eastern railway, in the South Western division of the county, Grimshoe hundred, Thetford union and county court district.
Captain Francis d'Arcy Wm Clough Newcome, of Feltwell Hall, is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is peat, subsoil, clay, the chief crops are wheat, beans and oats. The area is 102 acres, rateable value, £90, the population in 1881 was 47
Letters through Downham Market arrive at 8 o'clock. Southery is the nearest money order office.
A school board of 5 members was formed 2 Aug 1887 for the united district of Feltwell Anchor & Feltwell St Mary & St Nicholas, E N Cole, Croxton, clerk to the board
Board School, erected in 1889, for 100 children, average attendance 50, Billy Tunnicliffe, master
Redmore, formerly extra-parochial, is now a parish, but is attached ecclesiastically to the district of St John, Little Ouse, and is on the south bank of that river, 3½ miles north from the Burnt Fen railway station on the Ely and Thetford section of the Great Eastern railway, in the South Western division of the county, petty sessional division of Downham Market, the half-hundred of Clackclose and Ely union and county court district, the place consists of two farms, a public house and a few cottages.
The principal landowners are William Luddington esq of Littleport, Cambridge, Harold Archer esq of The Close, Ely, and Miss Luddington. The area is 625A 3R 31P, rateable value, £359, the population in 1881 was 39
Letters through Downham & Mildenhall arrive at 8. The nearest money order & telegraph office is Southery
Jones Rev John Evans [curate] Morse Rev John Frederick Taylor B A Vicarage
Bell Mary (Mrs) farmer Boyce Jethero Ship inn, Brand creek Creek William blacksmith, Brand creek Galley George engine driver to Burnt Fen commissioners Gotobed Thomas farmer Osler Wm wheelwright, Brand creek Peacock William Crabb farmer Porter Alfd Wm wheelwright, Brand crk Sallis William farmer Stanford Luke farmer Starling Robert farmer Taylor Gillett shopkeeper Theobald Morley farmer
Feetham James farmer, & Anchor P H Hollox John beer retailer
Gillet William Rayner farm bailiff to W Luddington esq Mott James beer retailer
See also the Little Ouse parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.