Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Oulton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

OULTON, a parish of scattered houses, 3½ miles N.W. of Aylsham, is in Aylsham union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, South Erpingham petty sessional division and hundred, Aylsham polling district of North Norfolk, Ingworth deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It has a rateable value of £2530, and had 379 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1849 acres.

The soil belongs to W.E.L. Bulwer, Esq., the Marquis of Lothian, Samuel Pitman, Esq., and others. Mr. Bulwer is lord of the manor, and Mr. Pitman owns Oulton Hall, a neat mansion in a small but well-wooded park, which is now unoccupied.

The CHURCH (St. Peter and St. Paul) has a tower and one bell. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £8 5s., and now having 13A. 28P. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £170, awarded in 1839, in lieu of the vicarial tithes. The Rev. Frederick Hunt is patron and incumbent, and has a good residence built about 1852. The Marquis of [Lothian] is impropriator of the rectorial tithes, which were commuted in 1841 for £20 10s. per annum.

About half a mile N.E. of the church is an Independent Chapel, with a cemetery of 5A. 2R. 9P., and a house for the minister, who has £5 a year from the bequest of the late Thomas Bell, Esq., from whom Oulton Hall passed to its present owner.

The Wesleyan Reformers have a small chapel in the village; and here is a school which was built and endowed in 1848 by the late Lady Suffield. It is a neat brick building in the Elizabethan style. The poor widows of Oulton have 10s. a year out of the Hall estate, left by Edmund Bell in 1694. There is an Oddfellows' Lodge and also a Friendly Society at the Pitman's Arms.

POST OFFICE at Mr. H.H. Hammond's. Letters are received at 7.30 a.m., and are despatched 3.30 p.m., viâ Norwich. Aylsham is the nearest Money Order Office.

	Bolton   Mr John Stuart       The Hall
	Fuller   Saml.                bootmaker & beerhouse
	Gay      Alfred John          farmer, Wood farm
	Gay      Wm. Ireland          farmer, Manor farm
	Hammond  Harry Hunting        grocer, draper, and postmaster
	Hunt     Rev. Frederick, B.A. vicar
	Keeler   Henry                parish clerk
	Kiddell  Henry                (exors. of), wheelwright and
	                                blacksmith
	Lake     Truman               farmer
	Moore    John Dyball          farmer, Malt House farm
	Moore    Robert               victualler, New Inn
	Pegg     Matthew              farmer
	Rice     James                farmer, Church farm
	Seaman   Mrs                  farmer, Green farm
	Smith    William John         schoolmaster
	Wells    Dennis               land agent to the Marchioness
	                                of Lothian (office, The Hall),
	                                The Lodge

From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:

page 622, line 2 [which is paragraph 2], take out 'Saml. Pitman, Esq.;'
line 6 [which is paragraph 3], take out 'is patron and,' and insert it in next line, after 'Lothian.'
In Directory, for 'Gay Alfd. J. farmer,' read 'Barrow John.'


See also the Oulton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
August 2009