OULTON, a parish of scattered houses, 3½ miles N.W. of Aylsham, has 409 souls, and 1849 acres, but only 1675 acres are assessable. The Dowager Lady Suffield, the Rev. S. Pitman, of Oulton Hall, (a neat mansion, sheltered by woody acclivities,) and W.E.L. Bulwer, Esq., own most of the soil. The latter is lord of the manor, but Lady Suffield is impropriator of the great tithes.
The Church (St. Peter and St. Paul,) has a tower and one bell. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £8. 5s., and now having 13A. 28P. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £190, awarded in 1839, in lieu of the vicarial tithes. The Rev. Stephen Cooke, M.A., of Knapton, is patron and incumbent.
About half a mile N.E. of the church is an Independent Chapel, with a cemetery of 5A. 2R. 9P., and a house for the minister, who has £5 a year from the bequest of the late Thomas Bell, Esq., from whom Oulton Hall passed to its present owner.
In the parish is the smallest of the two Workhouses of Aylsham Union. It was originally a farm-house, and was altered as a House of Industry, in 1804, at the cost of £1100. It was subsequently enlarged, and served for six parishes till the formation of Aylsham Union. It is held on lease from Lady Suffield. The poor widows of Oulton have 10s. a year out of the Hall estate, left by Edmund Bell, in 1694.
Barnaby Elden Fredk. govr. Workhs Bird Geo. wheelgt [see note below] Bird Henry tailor [see note below] Clark Edward gardener Fitt Peter joiner and parish clerk Martin Wm. vict. Pitman's Arms Pigg John coachman Pitman Rev Samuel Oulton Hall Rayner Mrs Gertrude Roberts Rev Richd. (Indept. min) FARMERS. Brooks Mary Crisp Stflt. R. [sic] Gay Robert Keeler Thomas Martin Wm. Poll Edmund Poll James Poll John Rice John Roberson Wm. Seman Robert Skinner Edward Tipple James Tipple ThomasCARRIERS to Norwich & Holt, call at Pitman's Arms.
Copyright © Pat Newby.