Ormesby St. Margaret comprises about 1600 acres of land, belonging to a number of freeholders, some of whom have neat mansions here; but the Rev. Gibson Lucas and the Rev. Charles Lucas are joint lords of the manor, which anciently belonged to the Ormesby family. One of the four co-heiresses and daughters of the last Sir Thomas de Ormesby, gave birth to Alice, the famous mistress of Edward III. The village is said to have been anciently a market town, and the inhabitants are exempt from toll in Yarmouth, and from serving on county juries.
Ormesby Hall, the seat of the Dowager Lady Lacon, relict of the late Sir Edmund Knowles Lacon, Bart., is a large handsome mansion, in the plain Gothic style, erected since the year 1810, and standing in a verdant and well-wooded park of 60 acres, commanding a fine view of the sea and the surrounding country. The Lacons were originally settled in Shropshire, and afterwards at Otley, in Yorkshire. Sir Edmund Lacon, who died in 1820, was created a baronet in 1818. Sir E.H.K. Lacon, the present baronet, resides at Ormesby House, in Ormesby St. Michael.
The large and pleasant mansion of R.G. Bosanquet, Esq., was purchased by him, in 1839, of the Rev. J. Symonds, and has recently been repaired at a considerable expense.
The Church, dedicated to St. Margaret, has several monuments of the knightly family of Clere, and a fine tower, surmounted by the figures of four monks in lieu of pinnacles.
The vicarages of Ormesby St. Margaret and Scratby, were consolidated with the curacy of Ormesby St. Michael, in 1548, and valued in the King's Book at £10. 10s., and in 1831, at £451, being augmented, in 1719, with £210, given by N. Symonds, Esq., and £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for £796, and the vicarial tithes for £304 per annum. The Rev. Richard Foster, M.A., is the vicar, and the Dean and Chapter of Norwich are the patrons, and appropriators of the rectorial tithes, which are now leased to Sir E.H.K. Lacon.
There were anciently four churches in the united parishes, but two of them have been long in ruins, viz., St. Peter's, on an eminence between the two Ormesbys; and All Saints, at SCRATBY, a manor of 300 acres, with about 20 scattered houses, belonging to various owners.
Scratby Hall, now the seat of the Rev. Richard Foster, M.A., was purchased by him of Lady C.B. Hamilton. It was formerly the seat of the Earl of Home. It has a lofty tower at the angle of its south and west fronts, and is approached by a fine avenue from the church.
Scratby Cliff commands one of the finest sea prospects in England. The Commons of Ormesby and Scratby were enclosed under an act passed in 1842.
The FREE SCHOOL at Ormesby, for eight poor girls, was founded in 1723, by Jonathan Symonds, Esq. The endowment now consists of only three roods of land, adjoining the school, and an acre at Mautby, but is said to have originally comprised about 20 acres. It is now conducted as a National School, and the Rev. J. Symonds, the Dean of Norwich, the Vicar of Ormesby, and others, are the trustees.
The poor parishioners have six chaldrons of coal yearly from Sir E.H.K. Lacon, Bart., in consideration of a road and two pieces of [waste] land which his family were allowed to enclose in 1818 and 1828.
In the following Directory, those marked * are at SCRATBY, and the rest at ORMESBY ST. MARGARET:-
Beck George corn miller Black Captain Wm., R.N. Bosanquet Richard Godfrey, Esq Boycott Miss Emily Carr Thomas pork butcher Clowes Jno. solicitor (& Yarmouth) Derry Stephen blacksmith Dunt John tailor and draper Elliott Thomas butcher Fellowes Wm. Manning gent Ferrier Richard Wm. corn miller * Foster Rev Richard, M.A. vicar, Scratby Hall George John vict. King's Arms Hallock Chas. plumber, glazier, &c Kidman J. plumber, glazier, &c Kitton John basket maker Lacon Dowager Lady Ormesby Hall Lacon John Edw. Esq. Ormesby Hall Lacon Captain H. Manship Benjamin Overseer Moss Miss Elizabeth M. Nichols John gardener Nichols Robert pork butcher Page Charles bricklayer Page Joseph schoolmaster Page Thomas farrier & cow leech Shalders Samuel shopkeeper and carrier to Norwich, Saturday Skoyles Thomas vict. Royal Oak * Sloman Wm. Waters gent. (chief constable of East Flegg) Tennant Wm. thatcher Underwood Wm. & Jph. bricklayers Watlow John gardener Wright John blacksmith Boot & Shoe Mkrs. FARMERS. Flegg James Agus Wm. George Jacob * Catchpole N. Harris George Chapman Wm., Manor House Nichols Robert Cockerill Samuel Read Robert Cooper Wm. Simnet Robert * Dyball Christms Wassey David * English Mattw. * Gedge Jonathan Joiners. Goodwin David * Green John Clark Richard, Page Chas. (and beerhouse) parish clerk Page Thomas Nichols John Parker Robert Shreeve John Tennant John Shrimplin James Tennant Martha * Tongate James Wheelwrights. * Woolston Benj. * Woolston B. jun Derry Wm. * Woolston Robt. Skoyles Thomas Woolston Rt. jun
Copyright © Pat Newby.