NORTHWOLD is a long village, with a few neat houses, and the shaft of an ancient cross, on the Thetford turnpike, near the river Wissey, 3 miles S.E. by E. of Stoke Ferry, and 7 miles N. by W. of Brandon. Its parish has 1140 inhabitants, and 5234 acres, of which 4893 are assessable.
A fair for toys, pedlery, &c., is held Nov. 30th and Dec. 1st, at Northwold; and about 2 miles to the N.W., near Stoke Ferry, is the hamlet of WHITTINGTON, in this parish, where there are 178 inhabitants, and where Messrs. Whitbread and Co., the great London brewers, have an extensive malthouse, with five cisterns capable of steeping 1700 bushels of barley at one time.
The parish is in the manors of Northwold, Hovells, and Dagneys, of which H.S. Partridge, Esq., is lord. The other principal landowners are, Mrs. Harvey, J.B.S. Bradfield, Esq., and the Rev. Dr. Thackeray.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a large handsome fabric, with a nave, aisles, chancel, and lofty tower, (built in 1473,) containing six bells and a good clock. It has recently been thoroughly repaired, and the chancel partly rebuilt. The roof of the nave is of oak, painted and gilt, and ornamented with spread eagles, &c. Against the north wall of the chancel is a lofty pile of chalk-stone; the upper part is of curiously wrought spire work, with arched canopies and niches, in which small images have stood on pedestals; and in the lower compartment, there are three effigies of men in armour, separated by three trees, and supposed to represent the guards of the holy sepulchre.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £29. 14s. 9½d., and in 1831, at £740, is in the gift of the Bishop of Ely, and now enjoyed by the Rev. C.M.R. Norman, with 66A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted, in 1837, for £896 per annum.
The Wesleyans built a neat chapel at Whittington, in 1843, at the cost of £600, and their old one is now occupied by the Primitive Methodists.
The "CHURCH LANDS," consisting of 108A. 39P., let for £112 a year, were bequeathed in 1479 and 1501, by the Rev. Richd. Powley, and John Peyrs, for the reparation of the church and highways, the payment of tenths, fifteenths, and other burthens; and for "other good deeds of charity that should be thought most necessary." The rents are applied in defraying all the expenses of the church, and if there is any surplus, it is generally applied in putting out apprentices.
The CAUSEWAY LAND, about 5A., left by Richard Constable, towards repairing the causeway extending to Stoke Ferry and Whittington, is now held by the trustees of the turnpike, made under an act passed in 1770.
An Allotment of 118A., awarded at the enclosure in 1796, is appropriated to the occupiers of the ancient cottages, who cut turf upon it, under the direction of the fen reeves. Three ALMSHOUSES, with a small garden, were built by the parish in 1742, and are occupied by four poor families, rent-free. The poor of Northwold have about £20 every fifth year from Atmere's Charity. (See Foulden.)
They have also the following yearly doles, viz., 40s., paid by the rector, as charged on part of the glebe called Hill-pits; £5. 10s., as the rent of 3A., called Novels, given by Henry Partridge, in 1706; and 50s., as the interest of £50 left by the Rev. Richard Oram, in 1774.
Bridget Holder, in 1736, left 5A. of land at Wretton, and directed the rent to be applied in teaching poor children to read, and in supplying them with Bibles and prayer books. It is let for £12 a year, which is paid to a schoolmaster for twelve free scholars, and he has also the free use of a cottage left by the Rev. H. Waddington, D.D., in 1814. For teaching 10 or 12 poor girls, a schoolmistress has the dividends of £200 three per cent. consols, left by John Carter, in 1782.
In the following Directory, those marked 1 are at WHITTINGTON, and the rest at NORTHWOLD:-
Armstrong Edward saddler Barham James schoolmaster Beales Fras. gent [see note below] Brightwell George tailor Carter John gent [see note below] Cooper Fredk. D. druggist Dent Edward corn mert. & maltster Dent Mr David Harvey Mrs. gentlewoman Joy Wm. surgeon Kemp Wm. baker Ming Wm. butcher Norman Rev Charles Rectory 1 Taylor Samuel agent to Whitbread and Co. maltsters, &c Tuddenham Wm. plumber, &c Turner Philip basker and sieve mkr Upton Coote tailor Walpole Jonas solicitor, and agent to Norwich Union Fire Office Wilkinson Henry sheriff's officer Windett Mr Jas. PUBLIC-HOUSES. 1 Richard John Bell Thompson George Crown Bennett John George IV Beerhouses. Grocers & Drprs. 1 Bennett Hy. Barham George Fuller Thos. Griffin John C. Horsley Chas. (& ironmonger) Pooley John Blacksmiths. Shoemakers. Jacob John Burgess Robert Johnson Robert Caseburn John Pooley John Turner James Whitmore Thos. Corn Millers. Wheelwrights. Barret John Fendick Robt. Coker Wm. Stratton Thos. Greaves George FARMERS. 1 Bennett H.W. Pooley Thos. Cock John Pryor Ambrose Dye Robert Pryor A. jun. Graves George Russell Thomas Harrod John Scales John Noble Wm. Simons Wm. Pearmain John
POST to Stoke Ferry, daily
CARRIER, Wm. Crisp, to Lynn, Tue. and Sat.
Copyright © Pat Newby.