Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Northrepps

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

REPPS (NORTH), a pleasant scattered village, nearly 3 miles S.S.E. of Cromer, gives name to a parish in Erpingham union, North Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Cromer polling district of North Norfolk, Repps rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. The parish had 573 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2731 acres of land, picturesquely broken into hill and valley; the rateable value is £3928 7s. 6d., and the gross estimated rental £4365 15s.

J.H. Gurney, jun., Esq., J.P., is the principal owner; Lord Suffield, S. Hoare, Esq., J.P., and Mrs. B.B. Cabbell, are other owners. Lord Suffield, who resides at Gunton Hall, is lord of the manor. The Cottage, sometimes called the Hermitage, is a tasteful Gothic structure, situated in a romantic dell commanding a view of the ocean, and is occupied by Mrs. Larken.

The CHURCH (St. Mary the Virgin) comprises nave with aisles and clerestory, south porch, chancel, and lofty square tower with five bells. A memorial stained glass window was inserted about 1871 by subscription, to the memory of the late Rev. P.C. Law, B.A., a former rector.

The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £18, is in the patronage of the Queen, as Duchess of Lancaster, and incumbency of the Rev. Samuel Francis Creswell, D.D., who has 12A. 1R. 34P. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £581 10s., awarded in 1839, in lieu of tithes. The rectory house is a handsome mansion, which was built at a cost of £3000 by the late rector, the Rev. Thomas Hay, D.D.

A SCHOOL BOARD was established here in 1879, and consists of J.H. Gurney, Esq., J.P. (chairman), Rev. Dr. Creswell, Messrs. J.H. Gurney, jun., T. Ling, and George Plumbly. New schools were erected in 1879, at a cost of £700, to accommodate 108, and are attended by about 87 children. Here is an infant school. The Rev. Dr. Hay, who died in 1830, bequeathed £1000 Three per Cent. Consols, in trust with Lord Suffield, to pay the dividends yearly to the rector, to be by him applied, at his discretion, for the support of the school, which he had built, and which is now attended by 50 children on Sundays; the surplus income, after paying for coal, repairs, books, &c., is applied in rewards.

The Church Estate comprises 1A. 3R., let for 18s., and rents of land amounting to 30s. a year.

William Rugge, or Repps, Bishop of Norwich, who died in 1550, was a native of this place. A reading-room and library were established in 1858, in a building near the church, by J.H. Gurney, Esq.; and in Crossdale Street is another, supported by subscription. Here is a commodious inn, where the neighbouring farmers meet every Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock for the transaction of business.

POST OFFICE at Mr. Edward Henry Wells'. Letters, viâ Norwich, arrive at 6.35 a.m. and 3.45 p.m., and depart at 10.55 a.m. and 4.5 p.m. on week days, and 3.30 p.m. on Sundays. Wall Letter Box, in Church Street, cleared at 10.55 a.m. and 3.30 p.m., except on Sundays. The nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office is at Cromer.

	Amess     James                 letter carrier
	Balls     Robert Marshall       farmer; h Sidestrand
	Bloom     Charles               farmer and carrier
	Bullimore Geo.                  farm bailiff, Hungry hl
	Burton    Thos. Wm.             blksmth. carpentr. irnfndr.
	                                  & whlwrt. & Nth. Walsham
	Callow    Michael John          farmer, and Roughton
	Callow    Mrs Louisa            The Lodge
	Cooper    Mayhew                blcksmth. & asphlter
	Creswell  Rev. Samuel Francis,
	            D.D.                rector, The Rectory
	Curtis    Mrs Elizabeth
	Earl      William Thomas and
	            Mrs Fanny Elizabeth Board school
	Foulger   Robert                carrier
	Galley    John                  gamekeeper
	Golden    Francis               farmer, Ivy house
	Golden    George                parish clerk
	Golden    John                  victualler, Mark lane, Foundry Arms Inn
	Griffin   W.E.                  farmer, Winspur's farm; h Barningham
	Gurney    John Hy. Esq., J.P.   The Hall
	Gurney    Jno. Hy. jun., J.P.   The Hill
	Gurney    Mr Richard Hanbury
	            Joseph              The Hall; h Brighton
	Kerry     Frederick             frmr. & gamekeeper
	Kirby     John                  farm bailiff
	Larken    Mrs Sara              The Cottage
	Ling      Thomas                farmer
	Plumbly   Geo.                  farmer; h South Repps
	Pooley    Jonas                 foreman
	Reynolds  George                carter
	Reynolds  William               gamekeeper
	Savory    John                  shoemaker
	Stevens   Henry                 head gardener
	Storey    George                farmer and overseer
	Storey    James                 grocer and draper
	Turner    Richard               farmer, assistant overseer and rate
	                                  collector
	Wells     Edward Hy.            grocer & postmstr
	Woods     Chrphr.               farmer; h Sidestrand
CARRIERS to Norwich - Charles Bloom and Robert Foulger, Wed. and Sat.


See also the Northrepps parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
October 2006