[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
NORDELPH (or Northdelph) is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1909 from the parishes of Upwell, Downham West, Denver, Stow Bardolph and Outwell; it is 4 miles west from Downham and about the same distance from Upwell. The village is intersected by the Well creek, over which there is an iron bridge, and is in the South Western division of the county, Clackclose petty sessional division, Marshland rural district, Wisbech county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese of Ely.
Holy Trinity church, erected by the Rev. William Gale Townley M.A. in 1865 as a chapel of ease to the parish church of Upwell, is an edifice of brick, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry, south porch and a turret containing one bell: the east window is stained: there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1865. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £350, with residence, in the gift of C.E. Townley esq. M.A. and held since 1909 by the Rev. Edwin Emmanuel Bradford D.D. of Exeter College, Oxford.
There are two Methodist chapels.
The population in 1921 was 1,258.
Post, M.O., T. & T.E.D. Office (available for calls to places within a limited distance). Letters through Downham Market.
Bradford Rev. Edwin Emmanuel D.D. (vicar), Vicarage Rose Mrs. East Farm house
Bailey James farmer Bailey Samuel farmer Burgess Fredk. Slade frmr. Hill frm Burgess Walter farm bailiff to H. Buchanan esq Butler Horace blacksmith Carter John Charles Chequers P.H. Chapman John Oliver baker Clingo John William boot repairer Ewell George John grocer Farrow Thomas Swan inn Foreman James Jones grocer Hartley William farmer Hawes Alfred cycle repairer Hawes Mrs. confectioner Markham Thomas H. wheelwright Martin Albt. Edwd. frmr. Old farm Newton Reginald farmer, White ho Porter Harry bldr Proctor Joseph William farmer, East Stud farm South John William beer retailer Stannard Fredk. Wm. confectioner Watson Wm. Chapman wheelwright
See also the Nordelph parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.