Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Nordelph

Kelly's Directory of Norfolk 1912

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

NORDELPH (or Northdelph) is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1909 from the parishes of Upwell, Downham, Denver, Stowe and Outwell; it is 4 miles west from Downham and about the same distance from Upwell. The village is intersected by the Well creek, over which there is an iron bridge and is in the South Western division of the county, Clackclose petty sessional division, Wisbech union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham (western division), archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich.

Holy Trinity church, erected by the Rev. William Gale Townley M.A. in 1865, as a chapel of ease to the parish church of Upwell, is an edifice of brick, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry, south porch and a turret, containing one bell: the east window is stained: there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1865. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £350, with residence, in the gift of the Rev. Charles Francis Townley M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, and held since 1909 by the Rev. Edwin Emmanuel Bradford B.D. of Exeter College, Oxford.

There are Wesleyan, Methodist and United Methodist chapels.

Post, M.O. & T. Office. - Miss Rose Chapman, sub-mistress. Letters through Downham, arrive at 7.25 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m.; no sunday delivery

Public Elementary School (mixed), erected 1879, for 109 children; enlarged in 1909, for 165 children; average attendance, 130; George Henry Harms, master

	Bradford Rev. Edwin
	           Emmanuel B.D.  (vicar), Vicarage

	   COMMERCIAL.

	Bailey   Richard Flour    farmer
	Burgess  Walter           farm bailiff to Arth. H. Worth esq
	Butler   Horace           blacksmith
	Chapman  Mary, Rose &
	           Emma (Misses)  grocers, Post office
	Chapman  Adam             farmer
	Chapman  John Oliver      baker
	Chapman  Mark             butcher
	Dack     Philip           beer retailer
	Ewell    George           grocer
	Flint    George           farmer
	Foreman  James            fruit grower
	Fretwell William          farmer
	Gilbert  John             boot repairer
	Grant    Read             farmer, Woodhouse farm
	Grounds  Agnes (Mrs.)     Chequers P.H.
	Hartley  William, jun.    farmer
	Johnson  Henry T.         beer retailer
	Markham  Thomas H.        wheelwright
	Martin   Fredk. Jas.      farmer, Old farm
	Newton   Charles          farmer, White house
	Proctor  Joseph William   farmer & breeder of shire & hackney
	                            horses & entire horse owner,
	                            East Stud fm
	Rose     Kenneth          farmer, West Nordelph farm
	Smith    Albert           farmer
	Thorpe   Albert           farmer
	Warner   Edwin Chas.      grocer, draper, & assistant overseer
	Whyatt   William          shopkeeper

See also the Nordelph parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
October 2015