Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: West Newton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

NEWTON (WEST) is a village on an eminence, 7 miles N.N.E. of Lynn, and comprises in its parish 268 inhabitants, and 1230 acres of land, lying in the two manors of Rivetts and Buckenham, and belonging to H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, who supports a school here for 50 children. The common (280A.) was enclosed in 1806, when 12 acres were allotted to the poor for fuel, &c.

The Church (St. Peter and St. Paul) is of the perpendicular period, and comprises nave with south aisle and porch, chancel, and battlemented tower, on the west side of which is a fine niche. In 1805, the north aisle was taken down, the arches built up, and modern windows inserted.

The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5. 6s. 8d., is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Richard Brown Scholefield, M.A., who has a good residence, 7A. 2P. of glebe, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £166. 6s.

The chief residents are -

	The Rector

	Boothby     Alfred      farmer  [see note below]
	Clarke      Wm.         shoemaker
	Cooke       Jas.        shopkeeper
	Dunger      Emily       schoolmistress
	Milton      John        parish clerk
	Sherringham Edw. Thos.  farmer  [see note below]
	Smith       Fras.       vict. Three Tuns
	Twaits      Saml.       miller, baker, and farmer
	Wakefield   Robt.       blacksmith
POST from Lynn, via Dersingham.
Note: in the original this is:
     Alfred Boothby and Edw. Thos. Sherringham, farmers


See also the West Newton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
July 2007