Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: West Newton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

NEWTON (WEST) is a pleasant village, on an eminence, 7 miles N.N.E. of Lynn. It has a large brewery, and comprises in its parish 242 inhabitants, and 1,221A. 3R. 35P. of land, lying in the two manors of Rivetts and Buckenham, of which the Hon. Chas. Spencer Cowper, is now lord and owner of most of the soil. The common (280A.) was enclosed in 1806, when 12 acres were allotted to the poor for fuel, &c.

The CHURCH, (St. Peter and St. Paul,) is a venerable fabric, which was re-pewed in 1805, when the north aisle was taken down, and the arches walled up.

The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £178, is in the patronage of the Crown, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. John Fairfax Francklin, M.A., who has a good residence, and about 8A. of glebe.


	Clarke    Wm.              showmaker
	Coe       Wm.              gardener
	Francklin Rev. J.F., M.A.  Rectory
	Gunton    Wm.              miller and baker
	Last      John             blacksmith and parish-clerk
	Mott      Wm.              bricklayer
	Robson    John             brewer and maltster
	Smith     Fras.            vict., Three Tuns


	Cork      Samuel
	Clarke    Thomas
	Robson    Thos.

See also the West Newton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
July 2007