Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Newton Flotman

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

NEWTON-FLOTMAN, 7 miles S. by W. of Norwich, is a parish in Henstead union, Humbleyard hundred and rural deanery, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Stratton polling district of South Norfolk, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 284 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1173 acres, and has a rateable value of £2793. The parish is mostly the property of F.W.K. Long, Esq., the lord of the manor; but Robert Fellows, Esq., and Sir Charles Harvey, Bart., and several smaller owners have estates here.

The CHURCH (Virgin Mary) was rebuilt in 1385, and is a plain structure of mixed Decorated and Perpendicular architecture, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower with one bell. There is a stoup in the porch, but the piscina in the chancel is plastered up. The old open seats still remain, and here is a fine brass, on which are engraved the effigies of Richard, Ralph, and Edward Blondeville, of the 15th and 16th centuries.

The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, is consolidated with that of Swainsthorpe, in the patronage of Fortescue Walter Kellett Long, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Henry C. Long, B.A., [who] has a pleasant rectory-house, built in 1835, on a commanding eminence. The tithes here have been commuted for £370 per annum.

The manor of Rainthorpe, as noticed with Flordon, is partly in this parish. The poor have the dividends of £173 17s. 10d., new 3½ per cent. stock, left by Thomas Clabburn in 1815, and a yearly rent-charge of £4, left by John Pye in 1697, out of land belonging to R. Fellowes, Esq. The NATIONAL SCHOOL was built in 1865 by the rector, and has an average attendance of 60 mixed children.

POST OFFICE at Mrs. Emma Yallop's. Letters arrive at 8.55 a.m. and despatched at 4.30 p.m., viâ Long Stratton, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.

	Avery    Miss Ellen                schoolmistress
	Brighton George                    pork butcher
	Brighton Richd.                    shopkeeper & coal dlr.
	Bullen   Thomas                    parish clerk
	Byles    Robert                    farmer
	Green    Joseph Haslam             land agent
	Harvey   Charles                   farmer
	Kirby    Edward                    thatcher
	Long     Rev. Hy. Churchman, B.A.  rector
	Long     Capt. Octavius Nevil      The Rectory
	Oldman   Henry                     sheep dresser & clipper
	Randall  Walter Howard             joiner and builder, and vict.
	                                     Maid's Head
	Sayer    Ewd. [sic]                shopkeeper & shoemaker
	Steggles John                      farmer, Plant's farm
	Trory    James                     baker
CARRIERS from Pulham Wacton, Long Stratton, and Diss pass through on Wed. and Sat.


See also the Newton Flotman parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
December 2007