NEWTON-FLOTMAN, 7 miles S. by W. of Norwich, has in its parish 371 souls, and 1172 acres of land, mostly the property of R.K. Long, Esq., the lord of the manor, and patron of the CHURCH, (Virgin Mary,) which was rebuilt in 1385, and has a fine brass, on which are graved the effigies of Richard, Ralph, and Edward Blundeville, of the 15th and 16th centuries.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, is consolidated with that of Swainsthorpe, in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Long, who has a pleasant Rectory House, built a few years ago, on a commanding eminence. The tithes here have been commuted for £370 per annum.
The manor of Rainforth, as noticed with Flordon, is partly in this parish.
The poor have the dividends of £173. 17s. 10d., new 3½ per cent. stock, left by Thomas Clabburn, in 1815, and a yearly rent-charge of £4, left by John Pye, in 1697, out of land now belonging to R.K. Long, Esq.
Banham Wm. carpenter Bunn Chas. shopkeeper [see note below] Garrard Jas. shopkeeper [see note below] Long Rev. Hy. Rectory Sayer Edward shoemaker Sayer Samuel baker Scott Robt. vict., Maid's Head farmers. Boyles Mary Muskett James Branford Benj. Muttimer Geo. Crane Wm. Raven John Harvey Geo. Riseborough Henry Kerrison John
Copyright © Pat Newby.