NEWTON-BY-CASTLEACRE is a small village, near the summit of the southern acclivity of the vale of the Nar, overlooking Castleacre, on the opposite side of the river, and distant 4 miles N. by E. of Swaffham. Its parish has only 93 inhabitants, and about 1005 acres of land, belonging to the Earl of Leicester and A. Fountaine, W. Martin, and W.O. Locke, Esqrs., the first of whom is lord of the manor.
The CHURCH (All Saints) has a low square tower, rising between the nave and chancel, and containing two bells. It is a low and heavy pile, supposed to have been built about the time of Edward the Confessor. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book (see note 1 below) at £2. 15s., and in 1831 at £103, was augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, in 1810, and is in the incumbency of the Rev. J.H. Bloom, of Castleacre, and patronage of the Bishop of Ely, the impropriator of the great tithes, now leased to Wenman Martin, Esq.
The poor's land is 2A. (see note 2 below), and they have 16s. a year left by Wm. Allee, in 1655.
Fagge Rev. Fdk. curate (see note 3 below) Matthews Robt. farmer Matthews Thomas farmer Emerson Robert publican Priest Samuel miller
Copyright © Pat Newby.