Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Needham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

NEEDHAM, on the Diss Road, 1 mile W.S.W. of Harleston, has its parish in Depwade union, Earsham hundred and petty sessional division, Harleston county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Harleston polling district of South Norfolk, Redenhall rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. The rateable value is £1655 10s., and the gross rental £1930 8s.

It had 349 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 1200 acres of land, in five manors, of which the following are the names and owners:- Bourts, F.B. Frank, Esq.; Denisons, George Dunbar, Esq.; Seymours, George W. Lawton, Esq.; Witchingham, Lord Waveney; and Gunshaw, W.M. Hazard, Esq.; but the Duke of Norfolk has a paramount jurisdiction.

The CHURCH (St. Peter) was formerly a chapel to Mendham, and is an ancient fabric, except the chancel, which was rebuilt in 1735, and is about to be restored. The tower is round at the base and octagonal above. Lord Waveney is impropriator of the tithes; but the heirs of the late A. Adair, Esq., are patrons of the vicarage, which was certified at £15, and is now valued at £77, in the incumbency of the Rev. J.G. Richard. It was augmented from 1675 to 1817 with £1000 of Queen Anne's Bounty and £400 given by the Rev. A. Freston and Mrs. Pyncombe.

The NATIONAL SCHOOL was built in 1874, at a cost of £550, to accommodate 68 children, and is attended by about 30.

The Town Estate consists of several cottages and 24 acres of land, mostly granted in the reign of Elizabeth, and now let for £75, which is spent in coal for the poor, and towards paying church and educational expenses. In 1547, John Gowan left to the poor a yearly rent-charge of 6s. 8d., now lost.

POST viâ Scole. Pillar Letter-Box cleared at 5.15 p.m. on week days, and 9.30 a.m. on Sundays.

	Alger     George         farmer
	Bedford   Jno.           blacksmith, parish clerk, and constable
	Bichard   Rev. John
	            Gallienne    vicar, The Vicarage
	Bird      Robert         horsedealer
	Brigham   John T.        farmer, White house
	Brigham   Mrs Mary       fmr. White house
	Buxton    Saml.          grocer, plumber, painter, and overseer
	Candler   Robt.          farmer, and overseer, Gunshaw Hall farm
	Clark     Robert         farmer
	Collett   William        farm bailiff
	Crooks    Wm.            vict. Red Lion, & coal dlr.
	Drew      George         tailor
	Gibson    James          farmer
	Gillman   Wm.            machine owner and hurdle maker
	Goulder   Christopher    farmer, Hill farm
	Haywood   Chas.          farmer; h Withersdale
	Hudell    Mrs Louisa     market gardener and glover
	Kingsbury Mrs Elizabeth  shopkeeper
	Lewis     Mrs Susannah   schoolmistress
	Rayner    Robert         beerhouse
	Rivett    Mrs Elizabeth  farmer
	Rogers    William        shoemaker and rural postman
	Short     Thos.          vict. Fishmongers' Arms
	Simmens   Mrs Emma
	Smith     George         farmer
	Smith     Thomas         farmer
	Spink     John           farmer and scrap iron dlr.
	Took      John           farmer

Note: the vicar's surname is Richard in the text, and Bichard in the directory.

See also the Needham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
October 2015