NEEDHAM, on the Diss road, 1 mile W.S.W. of Harleston, has in its parish 310 souls, and 1200 acres of land, in five manors, of which the following are the names and owners:- Bourts, F.B. Frank, Esq.; Denisons, Lady G. Beresford; Seymours, R.K. Cobbold, Esq.; Witchingham, Sir R.S. Adair; and Gunshaw, the Rev. T.W. Whitaker; but the Duke of Norfolk has a paramount jurisdiction.
The Church (St. Peter,) was formerly a chapel to Mendham, and is an ancient fabric, except the chancel, which was rebuilt in 1735. Sir Robert Shafto Adair, Bart., is impropriator of the tithes, and patron of the perpetual curacy, which was certified at £15, and valued in 1831 at £72, in the incumbency of the Rev. John Knevett, of Syleham. It was augmented from 1675 to 1817 with £1000 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and £400 given by the Rev. A. Freston and Mrs. Pyncome.
The Town Estate [consists] of several cottages and 24A. of land, mostly granted in the reign of Elizabeth, and now let for £66. 10s., applied with the poor rates. In 1547, John Gowen left to the poor a yearly rent-charge of 6s. 8d.
Aldous Robert shopkeeper Bent Wm. bricklayer Blackmore Jonathan linen manufacturer Blackmore Mark fishmonger Chalker Mr. Wm. Chilvers Henry blacksmith Freston James shoemaker [see note below] Palmer Wm. vict., Red Lion Smith Elizabeth vict., Fishmongers' Arms Starr Samuel shoemaker [see note below] Starr Wm. cider maker Whur Mary Ann gardener farmers Blackmore Jno. Miles Emma Crisp Charles Pratt James Burford (Gunshaw Hall) Edwards Alfred Taylor Samuel Foulger Robert Steverson Wm.Note: In the original this is:
Copyright © Pat Newby.