NECTON, commonly called Neeton, is a parish and scattered village, on the Dereham Road, 4 miles E. of Swaffham, and in the Swaffham union and county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, South Greenhoe hundred and petty sessional division, Swaffham polling district of West Norfolk, North Cranwich rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 793 inhabitants in 1881, living on 3748 acres, and had a rateable value of £6077.
Robert Harvey Mason, Esq., J.P., is the principal owner of the soil, and is lord of the manors called Sparham Hall, Cocket's (or Corbet's), and Churchman's, formerly held by the De Toneys, Nevilles, Bedingfields, Eyres, Colliers, &c. He resides at the Hall, a handsome Elizabethan mansion, which is situated in a park of 300 acres, containing some of the finest oaks in the county. In the house is a neat domestic chapel, tastefully furnished with oak carved stalls, and having a fine-toned organ and two beautiful stained glass windows.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is an elegant edifice, comprising nave, aisles, chancel, vestry, mortuary chapel, and square tower with six bells. It was thoroughly restored in 1841 by subscription, towards which £1200 were given by the late Colonel Mason, who in 1847 erected the west gallery and gave the organ. The tower, which is now surmounted by a spire, was rebuilt in 1863 at a cost of £1300, of which £700 were contributed by the lord of manor, and the remainder was obtained from the church and school estate fund. The roof of the nave is of oak, curiously wrought, and supported by figures of angels with expanded wings, below which stand carvings of the twelve apostles. On the south side of the nave are other figures of apostles, &c., with the effigy of our Saviour in the centre. Several of the windows are filled with rich stained glass, and over the altar is a painting of the raising of Lazarus. The reredos, pulpit, and seats are of carved oak. On the floor are several black marble slabs, with brasses and inscriptions to the Goodwyn, Wynston, Mason, and other families.
The living is a rectory and vicarage united, valued in the King's Book at £8 6s. 8d., in the patronage of M.C. Walker, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Arthur Altham Dawson, M.A. The tithes were commuted in 1840 for £905 a year, of which £252 are lay property.
The Baptists have a chapel here, which was repaired and improved in 1882.
The NATIONAL SCHOOL, with residence for the master attached, was erected by the late Miss Mason in 1865.
The Church and School Estate, which has been vested in trust from an early period for the payment of tenths, fifteenths, and other burthens of the parish, except a small part for the relief of the poor, consists of a farm of 127A. 3R. 29P. at Fransham, let for £136, and a barn and 15A. 34P. in Necton, let for £23 a year. These rents are all applied in the service of the church and school, except £2 distributed among poor widows. The latter is in consideration of the bequest of Edward Rust in 1610. The poor parishioners have an annuity of 10s. left by Elizabeth Tinkler; and interest of £35 left by Henry Skipper and others.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Robert Phillips'. Letters from Swaffham, which is the nearest Money Order Office, arrive at 7.30; despatched at 5.20 p.m.; Sundays at 10 a.m.
Barker Robert farmer Barnaby John farmer Blomfield Wm. farmer, Sparkham hall Body - farmer Bond - vict. Good Woman Brock William tailor Catton Mrs. farmer Clarke James harness maker Clarke Thomas farmer Cocker Jas. cattledealer and farmer, Corbett's lodge; & Nth. Pickenham Couzens John beerhouse Dawson Rev. Arthur rector, Rectory Altham, M.A. Davey John farmer Dunn Chas. baker and grocer Fowler Wm. agent to R.H. Mason, Esq., J.P. The Hall farm, & agt. to the Wstmnstr. & Gnl. Life Ince. Co. Gage George beerhouse Grummett Jno. butcher and dealer Grummett Thomas grocer Heyhoe George farmer Heyhoe James farmer and owner Jarvis Chas. Wharton grocer, draper, & ironmonger Kemp James farmer Larwood James farmer and owner Makins Mrs. farmer Mason Robert Harvey, Esq., J.P. Necton hall Miller Thomas tailor Nelson Edward farmer Nelson Fras. fmer. & miller, Necton mill Nelson Wm. farmer and seedsman Nichols John shoemaker Phillips Robt. shoemaker and parish clerk, post office Reyner Rowland farmer Roberts Henry blacksmith Smith Thomas shoemaker Stead Arthur schoolmaster Stibbon Jno. vict. Three Tuns, & frmr. Trollope Brightmer blacksmith Wace Walter farmer, Wood farm Walker George farmer Ward Frederick farmer Wortley - farmer Young Andrew farmer & landowner Young Mrs
Coffee, Reading Room, and Library, G. Stebbings, manager.
CARRIERS. - John Rose, to Swaffham, Sat (George); Wm. Jarvis. to Swaffham, Sat. (White Horse.)
"for '[park of] 300 [acres],' read '200.' Mrs. Smythe is now the patroness of the living. The Rev. Francis Kohler Povah, M.A., is now rector, vice Dawson, deceased. In Directory, for Fowler William, 'agent,' &c. read 'steward.'"
Copyright © Pat Newby.