NECTON, commonly called Neeton, is a parish and scattered village, on the Dereham road, 4 miles E. of Swaffham, containing 996 inhabitants, and about 3316 acres of land, mostly belonging to Wm. Mason, Esq., of Necton Hall, the lord of the manors called Sparham Hall, Cocket's, alias Corbet's, and Churchman's, formerly held by the De Toneys, Nevilles, Bedingfelds, Eyres, Colliers, &c.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is a beautiful edifice, with a square tower and six bells. The roof of the nave is of oak, curiously wrought, and embellished with paintings, and supported by angels with expanded wings, below which stand the twelve apostles carved in oak, painted and gilt. On the north side of the nave are other figures of apostles, &c., with the effigy of our Saviour in the centre. On the floor are several black marble slabs, with brasses and inscriptions to the Goodwyn, Wynston, Mason, and other families.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8.6s.8d., is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Preston Reynolds, M.A. The tithes were commuted in 1840, for £950 per annum, of which £252 is lay property.
Here is a Baptist and also a Wesleyan Chapel, the former built in 1802. The National School, erected by Wm. Mason, Esq., in 1839, is attended by 120 children.
The TOWN ESTATE, which has been vested in trust from an early period for the payment of tenths, fifteenths, and other burthens of the parish, except a small part for the relief of the poor, consists of a farm of 127A.3R.29P. at Fransham, let for £130, and a barn and 15A.34P. in Necton, let for £23.10s. a year. These rents are all applied in the service of the church, except about £2 distributed in bread, and £2 in money among poor widows. The latter is in consideration of the bequest of Edward Rust, in 1610. Since 1828, the trustees have expended £105 for a new clock, and £193.14s.9d. for a new peal of bells, in exchange for the old ones. The poor parishioners have an annuity of 10s. left by Elizabeth Tinkler; and the interest of £35 left by Henry Skipper and others.
Carter Wm. vict. Good Woman Catton Charles wheelwright Griffiths Rev Enoch Bapt. min. Jordan Mary Ann vict. Three Tuns Mason Wm. Esq. Necton Hall Medley Rev. George Rowland, M.A. curate Moore Thomas schoolmaster Reynolds Rev John Preston, M.A. rector Shepherd John carpenter Ward Wm. plumber, painter, &c. Beer Houses. Dickason Hanh. Hudson Wm. Phill James Blacksmiths. Brightmore Tlpe. Ollett George Steadman Wm. Butchers. Brock Thomas Hudson Wm. Ollett Edmund Corn Millers. Green Smith Trundle John FARMERS. Badeley Wm. Blomfield Wm. Buscall John Corbett's Farm Farrer John Giles Barlow Giles Wm. Eastgt Kerrison Thos. Ivytod farm Lambert Fras. Nicholls Robert Powley Peter Ransome Richd. Mona Hill (see note below) Ransome Wm. Reyner Rolling Shepherd John Skelton John Skelton J. jun. Trower David Whitby George Shopkeepers. Andrews Henry Tyler Judith Ward Wm.
Copyright © Pat Newby.