[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
NEATISHEAD, 10 miles N.E. of Norwich, is a large village and parish in Smallburgh union, Tunstead hundred, Happing and Tunstead petty sessional division, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Coltishall polling district of North Norfolk, Tunstead-Waxham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 578 inhabitants in 1881, has a rateable value of £3670, and comprises about 1905 acres of land.
The manor was given by Canute, the Dane, to his Abbey of St. Bennet's at Holm, so that the Bishop of Norwich is now patron of the living, appropriator of the great tithes, and lord of the manor; but a great part of the soil belongs to his lessee, Sir J.H. Preston, Bart., and to F. Neve, Esq., Mrs. Dix, Messrs. Charles Cubitt, Richard Allen, and some smaller proprietors.
The CHURCH (St. Peter), which is a small edifice with a belfry, was the chancel of the original bulding, which had a lofty tower and spire of the age of Edward IV. A new gallery was erected by subscription in 1840. Over the present west door are some remains of rich tabernacle work, which is supposed to have been over the west porch.
The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £3 13s. 1½d., and now at £305, has 46 acres of glebe, and is in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Browne, M.A., who has a neat brick residence built in 1862. The tithes were commuted in 1841, for the yearly payment of £301 to the appropriator, and £175 to the vicar.
The Baptists have a chapel here, built in 1811 and enlarged in 1857. It has a burial-ground attached, and is under the ministry of the Rev. F. Harvey. The PRIMITIVE METHODIST Chapel was built in 1868, at a cost of £240, and has 130 sittings.
There is a National School. The poor have eight cottages and gardens and 3A. 21P. of land, left by widow King and others; and 50A. 39P. allotted at the enclosure in 1808. The rents, amounting to £50 per annum, are distributed in coals. There is a friendly society at the Church school room, with 217 members.
POST, and MONEY ORDER OFFICE and SAVINGS BANK at Mr. Josiah Hy. Cooke's. Letters viâ Norwich are received at 5.30 a.m., and despatched at 4.50 p.m.
Adcock Hy. farmer & overseer, Ivy fm Baldwin John bricklayer Benstead Miss Mary Ann schlmstrs Boast James shoemaker Bowles Mrs Elizabeth shopkeeper Bowman Benjamin brickmaker Browne Rev. Henry, M.A. vicar, The Vicarage Burton James shopkeeper Chandler Geo. wheelwright & carpntr Cooke Josiah Hy. grcr. draper, leather cutter, agent for the London and Guarantee Accident Insurance Co., and postmaster Cubitt Benjamin farmer and Irstead Cubitt Chas. farmer and owner, and surveyor, Holly grove Cubitt Mrs Mary Point house Daniels Geo. farmer & veterinary srgn Dye James shopkeeper Fox John parish clerk Gibbs Richard grocer and draper Green Thomas farmer Harvey Rev. F. (Baptist) Haylock Hy. vict. White Horse Inn Geary William tailor Jones Alfred cucumber grower Knights Thomas miller Lubbock John rush collar maker Meek William shoemaker Mertar William rush collar maker Neave Fredk. farmer and owner, road surveyor, The Hall Neave Mr Jacob Nobbin John wheelwright Scarling James rush collar maker Slater Fras. John blacksmith Slaughter John blacksmith Walker Charles saddler Ward William beerhouse
From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:
The Rev. F. Harvey has left.
See also the Neatishead parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.