Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Mundham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

MUNDHAM, a pleasant village, 9½ miles S.E. by E. of Norwich, has its parish in Loddon and Clavering petty sessional division and union, Beccles county court district, Yarmouth bankruptcy district, Loddon hundred, Loddon polling district of South Norfolk, Norfolk archdeaconry, and East Brooke rural deanery. The rateable value is £2636, and the gross rental £2894.

The soil is mostly the property of Viscount Canterbury, and lies in his manor of Dickleburgh-Manclere. Here is also a rectorial manor, belonging, with the great tithes and the advowson, to the trustees of the Great Hospital, Norwich. (See Norwich.) Jonathan Farrow, Esq., and Messrs. Edward and Henry Clarke have estates here.

The CHURCH (St. Peter) is a small fabric, consisting of nave, south porch, north aisle, chancel, and square tower with three bells. The chancel contains a piscina, and the north and south doorways are fine specimens of Norman architecture. The aisle was built in 1863, and gave 50 additional sittings. Here is an epitaph to William Harborne, who was ambassador to Queen Elizabeth.

The benefice is a perpetual curacy, now in the incumbency of the Rev. Charles Hocking Hicks, of Seething. The Register dates from 1566. Here was another church, dedicated to St. Ethelbert, and some of its ruins are still extant. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £442 10s. per annum, of which £125 go to the incumbent, and the remainder to the impropriators.

The Poor's Allotment, 3A. 2R. 16P., was awarded at the enclosure in 1813, and is let for £10 a year. The poor have also the yearly rent-charges of 20s., left by Thomas Spooner in 1680, and 10s. left by an unknown donor.

The School situated at Seething is attended by the children of this parish. It had 295 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1547 acres.

POST from Norwich, viâ Brooke. Wall letter-box cleared at 3.30 p.m.

	Balls    John               farmer
	Beverley Thomas             farmer
	Clarke   William            parish clerk and sexton
	Farrow   Jonathan           landowner, Mundham house
	Flaxman  George             blacksmith
	Gilbert  Alfred &
	           Humphrey Hubert  farmers; h Sisland
	Goff     Johnson            miller and farmer
	Harrison -                  farmer
	Hicks    Rev. Charles       vicar of Mundham with Seething;
	           Hocking            h Seething Vicarage
	Moore    John               poultry-dealer
	Parsons  Mrs Elizabeth      shopkeeper
	Rackham  Harry              farmer
	Tillett  Thomas             farmer and overseer
	West     John               victualler, Garden House Inn; and
	                              market gardener and fruit dealer

See also the Mundham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
August 2009