[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
MUNDHAM, a pleasant village, 9½ miles S.E. by S. of Norwich, has in its parish 308 souls, and 1,527 acres of land, mostly the property of G. S. Kett, Esq., and lying in his manor of Dickleburgh-Manclere. Here is also a rectorial manor belonging, with the great tithes, and the advowson, to the Trustees of the Great Hospital, Norwich. (see page 134 [ which is about the history of Norwich ].) The benefice is a perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at £148, and now enjoyed by the Rev. J. T. Burt, M.A. of Seething.
The CHURCH (St. Peter,) has a square tower, and its south and north doors are interesting specimens of Norman architecture. Here was another church dedicated to St. Ethelbert, and some of its ruins are still extant.
The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £442 per annum. The Poor's Allotment, 3A. 2R. 16P., was awarded at the enclosure in 1813. The poor have also the yearly rent-charges of 20s. left by Thos. Spooner, in 1680, and 10s. left by an unknown donor.
Betts Mrs. grocer Beverley Wm. miller Blyth John grocer Flaxman Wm. smith and vict., Garden farmers Branch Daniel Broughton Susan Farrow Jonathan Roberts Michael Tillett Jph. owner Tillett Thos.
[End of Document]
See also the Mundham parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.