MOULTON, 9 miles N.N.E. of Diss, and 6 miles E. by N. of New Buckenham, has in its parish 444 souls, and 1346 acres of land, anciently in two parishes, called Great and Little Moulton, but the church of the latter (All Saints,) was demolished in 1570, and its site is now called the Sanctuary. Mr. Wm. Betts is lord of the manor of Moulton, but part of the parish is in the manors of Aslacton and Forncett. The soil belongs to various owners.
The Church (St. Michael,) is a small fabric, and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., and now having 20A. of glebe, a handsome residence, erected about ten years ago, and a yearly rent of £470, awarded in 1840, in lieu of tithes. W. L. W. Chute, Esq., M.P., is the patron, and the Rev. Thomas Howes, M.A., is the incumbent.
The Town Land, 10A. 14P., is let for £20, applied with the poor rates. Three acres of it were allotted at the enclosure, and part of the remainder was left in 1520, by the Rev. Richard Drake. In 1744, Samuel Hammond, left £20 for the poor, and it was laid out in building a cottage, but the overseers distribute the interest yearly.
Buxton John wheelwright Elvin Mary schoolmistress Howes Rev. Thomas, M.A. rector Lighton Edward blacksmith Potter Sarah vict. Fox and Hounds Randall George beer seller Stimpson Edward grocer and joiner Stimpson Samuel tailor and draper Tuck Rev. William curate FARMERS (*are Owners.) Atkins James Saunders Wm. Austin Robert Potter Robert *Betts William *Seamen Wm. Brock Robert *Smith John and Robert Bush Robert *Snelling Edw. Drane Thomas *Stimpson Stepn. Fuller Thomas Stokes James Hurn Robert *Sutton John *Miller Joseph Watling William Moggs William *Wetherly Wm. Robinson John Woodcraft Wm. Shoemakers. Alexander David Bennett James
Copyright © Pat Newby.