Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Moulton St Mary

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

MOULTON, near Tunstall, is a village scattered on a pleasant acclivity, 9 miles W. of Yarmouth, and its parish is in Blofield union, Walsham hundred, Blofield and Walsham petty sessional division, Norwich county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Freethorpe polling district of South Norfolk, Blofield rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 240 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2675 acres, and has a rateable value of £2046. Lord Massareene and Ferrard owns all the soil except 200 acres, and is lord of the manor.

The CHURCH (St. Mary) is a small antique structure, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and round tower. A mural painting was discovered here in 1848. In the chancel is a marble monument to Edward Anguish, who is represented with his wife and children in the attitude of prayer, and near it are a double piscina and a tombstone ornamented with a double cross. In the nave is a stone coffin, which was for some time used as a watering trough.

Lord Massareene and Ferrard is impropriator and patron of the vicarage, which is valued in the King's Book at £5 6s. 3d., and was augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty in 1775. The Rev. Augustus Frederick Bellman, B.A., is the incumbent, and has a good residence of red brick, built in 1854, at a cost of £700. The glebe is 34A. 19P., and the tithes were commuted in 1844 for £153 4s. 6d. to the vicar, and £215 2s. 6d. to the impropriator.

A new school was built in 1872, Lady Catherine Whyte-Melville gave the site and half the cost, the other half being raised by voluntary rate. It is attended by over 40 children.

Lady Massareene gives £10 annually to the poor in coals. The Church Land consists of 3½ acres, given by Henry Palmer in 1523. The Poor's Allotment, 9A. 2R. 22P., was awarded at the enclosure in 1803, and is now let for £18.

POST OFFICE at Mr. Charles Tills'. Letters delivered at 6.50 a.m., despatched at 3.55 p.m., viâ Acle, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.

	Bellman     Rev. Augustus
	              Fredrck.     The Vicarage
	Boult       Robert         farmer
	Bradford    Benjamin       market gardener
	Chapman     Robert         carpenter
	Chapman     Robert, jun.   parish clerk
	Gaff        John           corn miller
	Gilbert     Robert         blacksmith
	Goodens     Miss Amelia    schoolmistress
	Graver      George         vict. Golden Eagle
	Howes       Thomas         shopkeeper
	Lake        John           market gardener
	Loades      Charles        shoemaker
	Porter      Benjamin       farmer
	Thirkettle  James          farmer
	Tills       Charles        shpkpr. & sub-pstmstr.
	Warnes      George         market gardener
	Wright      Samuel         farmer
	Wright      Samuel, jun.   farmer; h Acle
CARRIER - Wm. Holmes, Acle to Norwich, Mon. Wed. & Sat.

See also the Moulton St Mary parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
July 2001