Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Morton-on-the-Hill

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

MORTON-ON-THE-HILL, 8 miles N.W. of Norwich, on the southern acclivity of the vale of the Wensum, has its parish in St. Faith's union, Eynsford petty sessional division and hundred, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Reepham polling district of North Norfolk, Sparham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 143 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1750 acres, and has a rateable value of £1004. The soil principally belongs to the lord of the manor, George Duckett Berney, Esq., of Morton Hall, which was considerably enlarged about 40 years ago, and is picturesquely seated on the southern slope of a commanding eminence near the church, and surrounded by thriving plantations.

The CHURCH (St. Margaret) was restored in 1863, and is a small building with nave, chancel, south porch, and tower. The latter is round at the base and octagonal above, and contains three bells.

Sir Hambleton Custance has a small farm in the parish. The Rev. Robert. C. Grice, an elegant Greek and Latin scholar, was rector here from 1753 till 1790.

The Poor's Land, 4A. 2R., is let for £7.

Mr. Berney is also lord of the manor and patron of the discharged rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £3 14s. 9d., and now has 4 acres of glebe, and a rent-charge of £180, awarded in 1840 in lieu of tithes. The Rev. Thomas Draper Roberts, M.A., is the present rector, and has a good residence, built in 1861, at a cost of £925, of which £125 was contributed by George D. Berney, Esq., and the rest was borrowed from Queen Anne's Bounty.

The Morton and Attlebridge Church School was built in 1870, upon a piece of land in Attlebridge, given by the Rev. John Micklethwait, deceased, at the joint expense of himself and George D. Berney, Esq., and is now supported by Government grant and by Henry Micklethwait, Esq., and George D. Berney, Esq., assisted by small voluntary subscriptions.

POST viâ Norwich.

	Abraham   Abel                farm bailiff
	Arthurton Robert              victualler, White Horse
	Berney    George Duckett,
	            Esq., J.P.        The Hall
	Bunting   Anthony             machinist & shopkpr
	Death     Miss                schoolmistress
	Gregory   William             parish clerk
	Hubbard   William             farmer; h Weston
	Plummer   Benjamin            gamekeeper
	Roberts   Rev. Thomas Draper  rector, Rectory
	Stimpson  Benjn.              farmer and butcher; and Alderford,
	                                East Tuddenham, Horningham [sic],
	                                and Sall

See also the Morton-on-the-Hill parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
May 2000