[Transcription copyright © Jayne Cole]
MORTON-ON-THE-HILL, 8 miles N.W. of Norwich, on the southern acclivity of the vale of the Wensum, has in its parish 165 souls and 976 acres of land, belonging to Thos. Trench Berney, Esq., of Morton Hall, which was considerably enlarged about ten years ago. He is also lord of the manor, and patron of the Church (St. Margaret,) which stands on a commanding eminence.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £3. 14s. 7d., and has 2A. 3R. 24P. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £180, awarded in 1840, in lieu of tithes. The Rev. C.R. Fanshawe (now in sequestration) is the incumbent. The Rev. Robt. C. Grice, an elegant Greek and Latin scholar, was rector here from 1753 till 1790.
The Poor's Land, 4A. 2R., is let for £6.
Berney T.T., Esq. Hall Blyth John shopr., wheelwright and vict., White Horse Bunn James butcher Hall John shoemkr. and schoolmr. farmers. Comer Wm. King Wm. P. Palmer John
See also the Morton-on-the-Hill parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.