Lord Charles Townshend owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manor, and patron of the Church (All Saints,) which is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £18, and consolidated with Stiffkey. (See page 677 [which is the entry for Stiffkey].)
The poor have half an acre of land, allotted at the enclosure in 1799, and the following yearly doles, viz., 20s., left by Jno. Ringer, in 1608; 26s., left by Chphr. Ringer, in 1678; and 40s., left by Wm. Buck.
A lieutenant and seven men are stationed here as a coastguard.
Mayes Richard vict., Anchor Parke George vict., Townshend Arms Thomas Lieut. George, R.N. Wrench Mrs. Eliz. Wade Benjamin farmer Wood George farmer
Copyright © Pat Newby.