[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
MORLEY ST. PETER is a parish on the south side of the above [ie of Morley St Botolph], 2½ miles N. by E. of Attleborough, and 3½ miles S.W. of Wymondham. It is in Forehoe hundred, petty sessional division, and incorporation, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Wymondham polling district of South Norfolk, Hingham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 135 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1009 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £1763 10s. The soil is mostly the property of the trustees of Miss Violet Bathurst Graver Browne.
Morley Hall, a handsome white brick mansion, erected in 1841-2 in a fine lawn, well-studded with oak and other trees, and commanding extensive views, is inhabited by C.R. Saunders, Esq. The Old Hall, formerly the seat of the Sedleys, is an ancient Elizabethan brick mansion with a centre and two wings, encompassed by a moat. It is now a farmhouse. The Woodlands, a pleasantly-situated antique building near the church, has recently been restored and improved, and is the residence of the Lord Wodehouse.
The CHURCH is a small plain structure of Perpendicular architecture, consisting of nave, chancel, south porch, and low square tower with a conical roof and one bell. The chancel was rebuilt by the rector in 1849, [and] the nave was reseated in 1866, and fitted with [a] new pulpit. Here are marble tablets of the Browne and Sedley families. The chapelry has long been consolidated with the rectory of St. Botolph, which is considered the mother church of both parishes.
POST viâ Wymondham.
Barker David farmer Barker Philip farmer Canham John farmer Clarke William farmer Hanton Benjamin farmer and dealer Hewitt George farmer Hewitt Stephen shopkeeper Howell Mrs Ann Richardson fmr. Old hl. Pyman Mrs. Ann farmer Race James farmer Saunders Mr C.R. Morley hall Wodehouse Lord The Woodlands
See also the Morley St Peter parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.