[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
MORLEY ST. BOTOLPH, 3 miles W.S.W. of Wymondham, has in its parish 328 souls, and 819 acres of land, mostly belonging to Miss Maria Morse, of Norwich, and lying in the manor of Shadwells, or Cockerills, in Morley.
The Church has a large tower and three bells, and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £14. 11s. 5½d., and in 1831 at £595, with the curacy of Morley St. Peter annexed to it, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Chas. Beauchamp Cooper. The tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1840 for £580 per annum. The rector greatly enlarged and beautified the Rectory House, about twelve years ago.
He pays for the education of twelve children at the National School. In 1732, Elizabeth Browne left the yearly rent-charges of £5 for schooling ten poor children, and £3 for providing them with books and clothing. The Fuel Allotment, 16A., was awarded at the enclosure in 1815, and is let for £23. 10s., which is distributed in coals, in the two parishes of Morley.
Cooper Rev. C.B. Rectory Bensley Robt. vict., Woolpack Eldred Mr. Henry August Robert baker Clark Charles miller Peacock George smith and wheelwright Smith Wm. shoemaker farmers. Barker Mary Curson Jeremiah Long Barney Potter Allan Rowing Archibald Sutton Thomas
See also the Morley St Botolph parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.