Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Mintlyn

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

MINTLYNN is a small decayed parish, 2¼ miles E. by S. of Lynn, on the northern acclivity of the valley opposite Middleton. It contains only 36 inhabitants, two farm-houses, and 720 acres of enclosed land, with a high sandy heath, of which 400 acres were planted by the late Wm. Bagge, Esq., who bequeathed this estate to its present owner, Richard Bagge, Esq. Bishop Beaufoy had a grant of this and 60 other lordships, from the Conqueror. In Domesday book it is called Meltinga.

Its small CHURCH, dedicated to St. Michael, has long been in ruins, but the gables and side walls are still standing. Mintlynn is now a sort of extra-parochial liberty, having neither church nor pastor.

The farmers are Edward Mawby and Wm. Cole; and John Wellingham is the gamekeeper.

See also the Mintlyn parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
July 2002