METTON, 3½ miles S. of Cromer, is in Erpingham union, North Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Holt county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Cromer polling district of North Norfolk, Repps rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 98 inhabitants in 1881, living on 660 acres, and has a rateable value of £1086. The parish belongs to the executors of the late John Ketton, Esq., the lord of the manor, and patron of the living.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a small building, comprising nave, chancel, permanently decorated by the present rector, and square tower covered with ivy, and having a gateway through the basement. It was restored and refitted with open seats in 1859, at a cost of £110. There is a brass to the Doughty family. The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7, is consolidated with Felbrigg. (see page 265 [which is the entry for Felbrigg].) The tithes of Metton were commuted in 1842 for £137.
POST from Norwich, viâ Roughton.
Amies Edwd. horsebreaker & overseer Bird William farmer Duffield Francis farmer Shepherd Allen frmr. & at Aylmerton Simpson Rev. Robert James, M.A. rector, Rectory; & rector of Felbrigg
Copyright © Pat Newby.