MENDHAM, a parish partly in the hundred of EARSHAM, county of NORFOLK, but chiefly in the hundred of HOXNE, county of SUFFOLK, 1½ mile (E. by S.) from Harleston, containing 835 inhabitants.
The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Norwich, rated in the king's books at £5. 5. 2½., endowed with £400 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant. Mrs. Whitaker was patroness in 1788. The church is dedicated to All Saints.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.
At Bruninghurst, in this parish, a Cluniac priory, subordinate to Castleacre in Norfolk, was founded by William, son of Roger de Huntingfield, and dedicated to the Virgin Mary: there are extensive remains of the conventual buildings.
Copyright © Pat Newby.