Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Mendham

Kelly's Post Office Directory of Norfolk and Suffolk, 1865

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

MENDHAM is a pleasant village and parish, on the river Waveney, in Hoxne union and rural deanery, partly in Hoxne hundred and partly in the hundred of Earsham in the county of Norfolk, Suffolk archdeaconry, and Norwich diocese, East Suffolk, Harleston county court district, 2 miles south-east from Harleston railway station, 7 south from Bungay, 10 north-east from Diss station, and 10 north-west from Halesworth.

The church of All Saints is in the Perpendicular style, consisting of nave, chancel, and aisles, with square tower and 6 bells: in the interior are several mural monuments and tablets, also three excellent brasses to the memory of the Frestone family. The parish register dates from the year 1678. The living is a vicarage, valued in 1835 at £104, with modern residence (and glebe consisting of 25 acres) in the gift of the Rev. E.W. Whitaker, of Stanton by Bridge, and held by the Rev. A.H. Brereton, B.A., of Queen's College, Cambridge. The rectorial tithes of a large portion of the parish have been purchased by the landowners, and Sir Robert Shafto Adair, Bart., is impropriator of the rest, which were, in 1841, commuted for £270, and the vicarial for £52 8s.

Near the church, on the Suffolk side of the river, was a priory, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, founded by William, son of Roger de Huntingfield, during the reign of King Stephen; a portion of its ruins is still visible. The parish lies in three manors, viz., Walsham Hall, Mendham King's Hall, and Priory: W.S. Holmes, Esq., is lord of the first, and Sir Robert Shafto Adair, Bart., is lord of the two latter. T. Thornhill, Esq., Thomas Rant, Esq., and several others are landowners.

Here is a Parochial school, supported by subscription.

The Independents and Wesleyans have chapels here.

The Priory is the residence of Captain Thomas Wood. The population in 1861 was 779; the area of the parish is 3,144 acres, of which 800 are on the north bank of the Waveney, in the hundred of Earsham, Norfolk, and form a part of the town of Harleston. The gross value is £5,671 10s. 6d., and the rateable value £4,907.

Parish Clerk, Samuel Buckingham.

Letters through Harleston, which is the nearest money order office. Letter box at J.H. Wood's, cleared at 6 p.m. daily

Parochial School, Miss Caroline Louisa Eglington, mistress

	Brereton   Rev. Arthur Henry, B.A. [vicar], Vicarage
	Chastone   Charles Benjamin, esq
	Gedney     Mr. George
	Gedney     Mrs
	Wood       Capt. Thomas            The Priory

	   COMMERCIAL.

	Beaumont   James                   farmer
	Beaumont   John                    farmer
	Broughton  William                 farmer
	Brown      George                  farmer
	Buckingham John                    farmer
	Buckingham Samuel                  blacksmith
	Chase      George                  miller & farmer
	Chastone   Charles Benjamin        landowner & farmer
	Denny      Thomas Meeke            farmer
	Flatman    Eastgate                carpenter
	Godbold    Robert                  wheelwright & carpentr
	Goodwin    Frederick               Red Lion, & farmer
	Jeffs      Palmer                  farmer
	Lusher     George                  farmer
	Mark       James                   farmer
	Mobbs      Samuel                  musician
	Rant       Frederick               farmer
	Riches     William                 farmer
	Ringer     William Beverley        farmer
	Saunders   William                 farmer
	Savage     Edgar                   collector of poor rates
	Scotchmer  John                    shoe maker
	Shearing   Damaris                 farmer
	Snowling   Edward                  farmer
	Thurkettle James                   farmer
	Woods      John Hazel              grocer, provision dealer & draper 


See also the Mendham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
December 2009