MELTON (LITTLE) is a parish lying east of the above [ie of Great Melton], 4½ miles W. by S. of Norwich, in Henstead union, Humbleyard hundred, Swainsthorpe petty sessional division, Norwich county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, Humbleyard rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 357 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 666 acres of land, mostly belonging to F.B. Frank, Esq., the lord of the manor, the Rev. Henry E. Lombe, M.A., Colonel Norgate's executors, and the Boys' and Girls' Hospital, Norwich.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is a small thatched fabric, of Perpendicular architecture, and comprises nave with aisles, chancel, and short square tower with three bells. It was repaired, and had a handsome new west window inserted about forty years ago, principally at the cost of the vicar. The chancel contains a double piscina and two sedilia, and in the north aisle is another piscina. Here are also two handsome marble tablets of the Skottowe and Johnson families, and a carved chancel screen.
The north aisle was repewed in 1868, when the windows of the entire church were restored and reglazed. In 1877 the roof of both nave and chancel was thoroughly restored after the original design, and the floor of the chancel, which was of common brick, was taken up and replaced with Staffordshire tiles, the cost of the latter being defrayed by Emmanuel College.
The tithes were commuted in 1835, the rectorial for £181 14s. 3d., and the vicarial for £98 per annum. The great tithes and 19 acres of rectorial glebe belong to Emmanuel College, Cambridge, together with the patronage of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5 6s. 8d., and now in the incumbency of the Rev. J.C. Barkley, M.A. It was augmented in 1776 with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and has 12 acres of glebe.
A BOARD SCHOOL was built in 1874, at a cost of £850, for the parishes of Little Melton and Colney, and has an average attendance of 75 mixed scholars. The present Board consists of Rev. J.H. Payne (chairman), and Messrs. John Utting, Henry Lack, Samuel Barrell, and Henry Whittaker; the chairman also acts as honorary clerk.
The poor's land, awarded by a decree of Chancery, in 1619, and at the enclosure, in 1817, was partly exchanged in 1820, and now consists of 7A. 3R., let for £15. Two poor widows ought to have 40s. a year, left by Sarah Johnson, in 1740, out of land at Brooke, but this has not been paid for the last 36 years.
WALL POST OFFICE, by Rose and Crown Inn, cleared at 6.15 p.m., week days only. Letters viâ Wymondham. Hethersett is nearest Money Order, and Norwich nearest Telegraph Office.
ANDREWS John market gardener AVES John sheep dresser BACON John market gardener BLAKE Benjamin shopkeeper BARKLEY Rev. John Charles, M.A. vicar BARRELL Samuel miller and farmer BOUGHEY Miss Alice Maud schlmstrss CARTER Joseph farmer GIRLING Miss Mary Elizabeth HILL George shopkeeper HILL Richard market gardener HIPPERSON Charles farmer HIPPERSON Henry builder, contractor and farmer HOLMES Mr Robert Hill house LACK Henry farmer, Church farm MEAD John tailor PEARCE James parish clerk REYNOLDS Joshua vict. Rose & Crown SHARP Mr Charles SPARKS Watson market gardener SPARROW James farmer and thrashing machine propr.; and (h) Bawburgh UTTING John farmer, Manor farmCARRIER -- Cunningham, from Great Melton to Norwich, passes through on Wed. and Sat.
Copyright © Pat Newby.