Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Great Melton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

MELTON (GREAT) 5½ miles W. by S. of Norwich, is a parish in Henstead union, Humbleyard hundred, Swainsthorpe petty sessional division, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Wymondham polling district of South Norfolk, Humbleyard rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 311 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 2477 acres of land. Nearly all the parish is the property and manor of the Rev. H. Evans-Lombe, J.P., of Bylaugh.

Melton Hall, an ancient Elizabethan mansion, built in 1611 by one of the Anguish family, commands an extensive view, and stands in a park of 100 acres, in which are some fine chestnut trees. It is now the residence of Edward B. Mansel, Esq., J.P. On White Rail Farm is a barn, containing a loft in which one of the Anguish family was concealed during the commonwealth.

The parish had formerly two CHURCHES, in the same graveyard; but that dedicated to All Saints was dilapidated in 1714, and remained in ruins until recently, when it was restored and re-opened, St. Mary's Church, except the tower, being demolished.

The joint rectories, each valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., are in the patronage of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Alfred Geo. Day, M.A., late president of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, who has 22 acres of glebe, a yearly tithe rent-charge of £754 19s. 3d., awarded in 1839, and a handsome brick residence in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1851 at a cost of £2000.

The NATIONAL SCHOOL, a pretty Gothic structure of flint and white brick, near the rectory, was built in 1851 by the late Charles Lombe, Esq. It is attended by about 40 children, and supported by private contribution.

In 1350, Henry III. granted a market and fair to his manor of Melton, but both have long been obsolete. In 1664 Richard Snelling left a close of land, at Wramplingham, charged with the yearly payment of 15 yards of cloth, worth 2s. 6d. per yard, for the poor of Great Melton.

WALL POST OFFICE cleared at 6 p.m. week days, and 10 a.m. on Sundays. Letters viâ Wymondham, which is nearest Telegraph Office. Hethersett is nearest Money Order Office.

	Bloom      John Edward      farmer & cattle dealer, College farm
	Boyce      Frederick        farmer, Limekiln farm
	Bunn       -                farmer
	Cannell    James            market gardener
	Clements   Robert Croxton   farmer
	Cross      Thomas           farmer
	Cunningham Jas.             shopkeeper & carrier
	Day        Rev. Alfred
	             George, M.A.   rector
	Drew       Jeremiah         former [sic]
	Fox        Thomas           parish clerk
	Hubbard    William          sheep clipper
	Large      John             farmer, Chapel farm
	Mansel     Edward Berkeley
	             Esq. J.P.      The Hall
	Lowen      Miss Emma        schoolmistress
	Pearson    George           farmer, Whong farm
	Porrett    James            farmer, High house
	Smith      Henry            farmer, Church farm
	Wright     James            blacksmith, and at Colne [sic],
	                              and vict. Green Man

See also the Great Melton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
May 2007